Move button/squatcheeView previous topic :: View next topic  
Gadm

Post Posted: 06/17/16 2:11 pm    Post subject: Move button/squatchee Reply with quote
Is it possible to move the button/squatchee (I think that is how it is called) of a cap? My Cubs Wrigley Field cap has it somehow moved and my OCD seeing that it is not centered is killing me.

XclickX
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/17/16 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Move button/squatchee Reply with quote
Gadm wrote:
Is it possible to move the button/squatchee (I think that is how it is called) of a cap? My Cubs Wrigley Field cap has it somehow moved and my OCD seeing that it is not centered is killing me.

I just did this yesterday!!!!

1. Grab a pair of scissors and pop the button off.
2. Take the pin out in the inside of the cap.
3. Take a thumbtack and make a new centered hole in your cap. Work the hole over and over to make it as easy as possible to get the pin back into your cap.
4. Now replace the new era pin back inside your cap into the new hole. Once it pokes through grab some needle nose pliers and your button. Use your fingers to fit the button back on the pin and then fold the cap so you can grip the button and the pin with the pliers and squeeze hard.

Done deal. Be careful not to bend the original pin out of whack or you will need a new pin to snap your button back into.
Gadm

Post Posted: 06/19/16 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you xclickx I'll give it a try
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/16/17 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Move button/squatchee Reply with quote
XclickX wrote:

3. Take a thumbtack and make a new centered hole in your cap. Work the hole over and over to make it as easy as possible to get the pin back into your cap.
4. Now replace the new era pin back inside your cap into the new hole. Once it pokes through grab some needle nose pliers and your button. Use your fingers to fit the button back on the pin and then fold the cap so you can grip the button and the pin with the pliers and squeeze hard.

Done deal. Be careful not to bend the original pin out of whack or you will need a new pin to snap your button back into.

Thanks for these instructions, Click. I've already improved two caps by moving the squatchee with your method.

A few tips of my own to others giving this a try:

1 Don't be afraid to really squeeze your scissors together beneath the squatchee. This is the best way to get the thing to pop out with bending the pin.
2 Be careful handling the cap around the squatchee. It can take a lot of damage but one of my caps had a little bit of seam separation.
3 A bent pin can be fixed. Get a pair of pliers, hold the base of the pin as flat as you can and gently bend the pin the direction you need it to go.
4 Don't be overly aggressive seating the squatchee back on the pin. I ended up recreating the balance issue I had initially been trying to fix by pressing too hard with a clamping tool. Pulling back up a bit with the scissors fixed this however.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 09/18/17 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another piece of advice - before you attempt to pop a squatchee off, see if you can twist it around a little bit and the look may improve. I did this by accident just now attempting to loosen it up for the scissors to fit underneath, and suddenly I noticed the squatchee didn't look so off-centered anymore. Technically it still is a hair compared to one seam, but the other 3 align.

Another word to the wise - unless you are OCD beyond being saved (I used to be...) it's doubtful that many people will notice that the squatchee is off-centered when on the top of your head anyway - unless you are just really short. This is one of those things I'm trying to "live and let live" on in trying not to obsess on every single detail of my caps in an attempt to live a more harmonious and enjoyable life. Very Happy
Ronnieb
Gold Member

Post Posted: 10/28/17 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Move button/squatchee Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
XclickX wrote:

Thanks for these instructions, Click. I've already improved two caps by moving the squatchee with your method.

A few tips of my own to others giving this a try:

1 Don't be afraid to really squeeze your scissors together beneath the squatchee. This is the best way to get the thing to pop out with bending the pin.
2 Be careful handling the cap around the squatchee. It can take a lot of damage but one of my caps had a little bit of seam separation.
3 A bent pin can be fixed. Get a pair of pliers, hold the base of the pin as flat as you can and gently bend the pin the direction you need it to go.
4 Don't be overly aggressive seating the squatchee back on the pin. I ended up recreating the balance issue I had initially been trying to fix by pressing too hard with a clamping tool. Pulling back up a bit with the scissors fixed this however.

I tried on one of my ‘throwaways’ but if you move the squatchee, it leaves the old hole....can’t get past that. Ideas???
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/28/17 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Move button/squatchee Reply with quote
Ronnieb wrote:
I tried on one of my ‘throwaways’ but if you move the squatchee, it leaves the old hole....can’t get past that. Ideas???

Rule of thumb if you want to keep the old hole concealed is that your new squatchee placement has to be near enough to the old one so that the squatchee itself will cover it up. This essentially means that you have a limited area to move the squatchee around if you don't want to leave any trace of your handiwork.
Big Cappi

Post Posted: 10/29/17 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd just leave it alone it doesn't look bad.
So what if it's not perfect.
Personally I have had a few off center but I never mess with them because I know I would just make it worse so I just let it go.

I have never heard someone tell me "Hey your hat button is off center!"
el_gmac
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/29/17 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Big Cappi wrote:
Personally I have had a few off center but I never mess with them because I know I would just make it worse so I just let it go.

but if you know it is off and it bothers you, then you do something about it
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/29/17 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Big Cappi wrote:

It's really not that difficult, just tedious. And it's hard to make things worse since you can easily conceal whatever you've done by putting the squatchee back in its original location if necessary.

I'm sure 99% of people would never notice an off-center squatchee or any of the other things we tend to obsess on but it bugs the hell out of me personally. I hadn't realized it previously but I'm a bit of a symmetry nut (probably one reason I've always loved Kubrick films) and a noticeably off-center squatchee commands my attention any time I see myself wearing the cap in the mirror.
Big Cappi

Post Posted: 10/30/17 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can see where people are coming from about this. It's one of those little things mean a lot issues.
And some people really pay attention when it comes to those.

It is rather disappointing when you look at it. You spend hard earned money on a product and it's not up to standard. It's such a pain in the rear to fix people"s mistakes.

You would at least think the US made hats manufacturers would have higher standards and take pride in their workmanship since they aren't getting slave wages like China.

Good luck with the repair. Hope you can show us how it turns out.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/19/17 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really hated when the squatchee didn't take the color of the brim on a two-tone until I actually wore the current Astros road cap. Now I rather like it on some caps and figured I should take the opportunity to 'fix' my crooked C TBTC since I just got a navy cap I don't plan to wear. I ended up snapping the pins on both caps I was working with and had to use another unworn cap's pin in a pinch. Luckily I got that one off in one piece and am quite happy with the end result.

el_gmac
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/19/17 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
I really hated when the squatchee didn't take the color of the brim on a two-tone until I actually wore the current Astros road cap. Now I rather like it on some caps and figured I should take the opportunity to 'fix' my crooked C TBTC since I just got a navy cap I don't plan to wear. I ended up snapping the pins on both caps I was working with and had to use another unworn cap's pin in a pinch. Luckily I got that one off in one piece and am quite happy with the end result.

Just made it as the 2014 TBTC..awesome
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/19/17 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
el_gmac wrote:

Thanks gmac.

Did they do an accurate version back in '14? I got this one used but it has the imported materials tag and no flag so I assume it's from '16. Luckily they hadn't started using the awful dark navy poly at this point though.
el_gmac
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/19/17 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
el_gmac wrote:

Thanks gmac.

Did they do an accurate version back in '14? I got this one used but it has the imported materials tag and no flag so I assume it's from '16. Luckily they hadn't started using the awful dark navy poly at this point though.

Yeah Guy they did a 2014 and it’s perf poly. Also there was an all navy error released by mlbshop that I’m still kicking myself for not grabbing it.
Page 1 of 2   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: