Hat Jack Sizing ProblemView previous topic :: View next topic  
bryce3103
Rookie

Post Posted: 02/09/16 5:54 pm    Post subject: Hat Jack Sizing Problem Reply with quote
A few of my 59fifty's are just that bit too tight, that I can't wear them for too long without getting a headache. I am looking at buying a Hat Jack but I'm not sure which size to buy as I'm a 7 & 1/2. My worry is I buy the medium hat jack and it doesn't stretch them enough or I buy the large and stretch them too far. Has anyone got any experience with this? Or is there a better way to stretch on field poly's?
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/09/16 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the large hat jack, which is what I think you should go with. I wear a 7 5/8, but own a few 7 1/2 hats that I have stretched.

I've had limited success stretching hats. If they only need to be stretched a little bit you should be fine.

I'm sure others will chime in.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/09/16 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm also a 7 1/2 and had the same concern when ordering a Hat Jack. Amazon order history tells me I went with a medium (7 1/8 - 7 1/2) and it's worked fine for every hat I've stretched. I've actually worried that I might rip the hats by stretching too far so I doubt the medium will be too small for your needs.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/09/16 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hat-Stretcher-Fits-all-hat-sizes-6-3-4-to-8-1-2-Heavy-Duty-Wood-Metal-/151341115930?hash=item233ca22a1a:g:ptwAAMXQE9hR9uPX

I switched to this from the Hat Jack and have been really satisfied with it.

To properly stretch a hat I find the best method is to put it on the jack for at least a week and each day crank the jack as much as it will allow. By the end of the week if things are going right the hat will be overjacked (this is what you want). After about a day or so off the jack the hat will shrink back but should shrink back to a larger fit than when you've started.

I've recently started steaming the hats before I put them on the jack, not sure if it makes a difference but with NE I find I am always jacking a hat at some point.
XclickX
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/09/16 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wet the sizing band a little before putting it on the jack. This should speed up the stretching process. I've gone up about 2 sizes by stretching the hat until I could not turn the Jack anymore. Then each day trying to turn the Jack a little more. Do this for 2-3 days and you should go up at least a half of size. Once you take it off the Jack the hat will be a little big but it should shrink some over the next 24-48 hours off the jack.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/09/16 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm sure most probably think I'm odd for doing this, but I've found putting the hat in the oven for 3-4 minutes at 300 and then immediately putting in the hat jack works too. The oven heats the sizing band, allowing it to resize a bit better.
bryce3103
Rookie

Post Posted: 02/10/16 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all your replies guys. Am I right in thinking that when I stretch the hat it will shrink back a little? If so should I be ordering the large hat jack as it goes above 60cm?
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/10/16 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
bryce3103 wrote:
Thanks for all your replies guys. Am I right in thinking that when I stretch the hat it will shrink back a little? If so should I be ordering the large hat jack as it goes above 60cm?

Check out the link I posted it's a one size stretcher that covers 6 7/8 - 8 1/4, it's also better built than the Hat Jack. I've had a 4-5 Hat Jacks break on me and the one size one I find easier to load and centre in the hats as well as easier to crank.
bryce3103
Rookie

Post Posted: 02/10/16 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Hat Guru, I'll take a look at that after work and get one ordered
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: