Bill Creasing Help?View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryce3103
Rookie

Post Posted: 11/09/15 1:51 pm    Post subject: Bill Creasing Help? Reply with quote
I have recently moved from 39thirty's to 59fifty's, and I'm having real issues trying to bend the bill. I know I'm probably creating my own problem by not sticking with 39thirty's but 59fifty's are so much nicer. The problem I'm having is that when i try to bend the bill by hand it is creasing but not in the middle of the bill but off to the side. I have looked at almost every post or video on this forum and youtube and nobody seems to be having this issue.Am I doing something wrong, as this has happened with 4 hats in the last few days. Do I need to heat it up or get the bill wet before bending it? If i put it in a cup overnight would the pressure of the bill trying to straighten out the get rid of the creases?
Thanks for any help you guys can provide
seawolf
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/09/15 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
How curved do you want it? I usually just bend it until the sides touch and I'm done....
bryce3103
Rookie

Post Posted: 11/09/15 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm trying to get a bend similar to my old 39thrity's, maybe not quite that much. I'm just so frightened of the creases sticking and the bill looking terrible, as I've just bought 4 59fifty's and the bill on is starting to look a little off
bryce3103
Rookie

Post Posted: 11/09/15 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also when i bend it to touch the sides that seems to be when it creases but not in the middle of the bend either
LegalAmerican
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 11/09/15 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I touched the sides of my brims, I guarantee every single one would crease. I don't know why, but I always seem to struggle not getting a crease in. All I do, is put it on my head so the brim kinda starts bending naturally, and then I grab the brim on both sides with both of my hands so I get maximum coverage, and then I gently bend it a little at a time.

This seems to create a little elasticity in the brim cardboard, and it doesn't seem to be so stiff. Once it feels relatively flexible, I will work it like that every time I wear the hat. Usually after 5 or 6 times, it holds a decent curve. Not quite as much as a 39Thirty, but enough that I no longer feel like a tool.
seawolf
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/09/15 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've seen people here who use perfect curve......i'm sure they will chime in when they come on......
LegalAmerican
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 11/09/15 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
seawolf wrote:
I've seen people here who use perfect curve......i'm sure they will chime in when they come on......

I've wanted to snag one of those for a while but haven't seen any for sale.
bryce3103
Rookie

Post Posted: 11/09/15 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks guys, I'm new to this type of hat care, so I'm still trying to learn the do's and don'ts. These hats are really nice but require a bit more care than my old 39thirty's
seawolf
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/09/15 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
LegalAmerican wrote:
seawolf wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Charter-Perfect-Curve-Cap-Curver/dp/B000209Z0O
LegalAmerican
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 11/09/15 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
seawolf wrote:
LegalAmerican wrote:
seawolf wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Charter-Perfect-Curve-Cap-Curver/dp/B000209Z0O

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I did see them on amazon, but I always hate buying stuff off amazon unless I get free shipping. I'll have to look around for someone who has prime so I don't have to double the cost of the item to pay their shipping. Thanks for the link!
LegalAmerican
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 11/09/15 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
bryce3103 wrote:
thanks guys, I'm new to this type of hat care, so I'm still trying to learn the do's and don'ts. These hats are really nice but require a bit more care than my old 39thirty's

The nice thing about a 59Fifty is it's all about what works for you. Once you figure out the method that gets them how you want them, they're so durable and last forever with the most basic care. Unless they're chinese made because then you'll look like Davy Crockett with all the hair and lint sticking to your head.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/09/15 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill Creasing Help? Reply with quote
bryce3103 wrote:
I have recently moved from 39thirty's to 59fifty's, and I'm having real issues trying to bend the bill. I know I'm probably creating my own problem by not sticking with 39thirty's but 59fifty's are so much nicer. The problem I'm having is that when i try to bend the bill by hand it is creasing but not in the middle of the bill but off to the side. I have looked at almost every post or video on this forum and youtube and nobody seems to be having this issue.Am I doing something wrong, as this has happened with 4 hats in the last few days. Do I need to heat it up or get the bill wet before bending it? If i put it in a cup overnight would the pressure of the bill trying to straighten out the get rid of the creases?
Thanks for any help you guys can provide

I have a few methods to bend the brims on my hats. The one I use the most is The Perfect Curve. I find if I just put the hat in The Perfect Curve, the bend does not hold that well long-term. For a poly hat, I heat the hat in the oven at 300 degrees for about 3-5 minutes. This makes the brim very soft and easier to work with. As soon as I take the hat out of the oven, I place it into the The Perfect Curve. After the brims cools, which usually after a few minutes, the curve holds really well.

During the hotter months of the year, I can place the hat in The Perfect Curve and just let it sit outside for a few hours. It does the same thing as the oven.

I have an oversized mug I have also used in the past. It gives a bigger, rounder curve, more similar to the 3930s. I don't mind this look, but it makes it impossible for me to wear the hat and sunglasses, so I opt for a less pronounced curve.

I should also mention, if you decide to use the oven method, you can also shape the brim using your hands if you don't want to buy The Perfect Curve. You just have to hold the brim in place while it is cooling. The brim won't be too hot to hold. I find it easier to use The Perfect Curve than to use my holds. Also less chance of human error.

Lastly, it is also worth noting that some hats come with lousy brims. Before purchasing a hat, I always begin to hand bend the brim using the method seawolf mentioned above. Sometimes the brim, even though the hat is brand new, will crease more off to one side than another. Sometimes it is slight and sometimes it is really bad. No amount of work will make these hats look good. Just pass on them.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.
bryce3103
Rookie

Post Posted: 11/10/15 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the responses guys, I have tried one of my hats in the oven but I was that focused on shrinking it down a little and trying to lower the crown that by the time I got round to the bill it had cooled down. Would I risk shrinking this cap further if I popped it back in the oven to try and sort out the bill?
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/10/15 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
bryce3103 wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys, I have tried one of my hats in the oven but I was that focused on shrinking it down a little and trying to lower the crown that by the time I got round to the bill it had cooled down. Would I risk shrinking this cap further if I popped it back in the oven to try and sort out the bill?

In my experience, not at all. When I buy a hat with a standard crown I almost always put it in the oven multiple times. The first time is specifically to lower the crown. The second and all future times it is to shrink the hat and bend the brim.
seawolf
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/10/15 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:
bryce3103 wrote:

In my experience, not at all. When I buy a hat with a standard crown I almost always put it in the oven multiple times. The first time is specifically to lower the crown. The second and all future times it is to shrink the hat and bend the brim.

Iron Chef New Era......
Page 1 of 3   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: