Ebbets Field Flannels HatsView previous topic :: View next topic  
jfi
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 05/26/13 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quick question on the fit of these caps vs. a 5950- is the crown more shallow (i.e. more like a low crown style)?
ppm21

Post Posted: 05/26/13 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jfi wrote:
Quick question on the fit of these caps vs. a 5950- is the crown more shallow (i.e. more like a low crown style)?

EFF caps are closer to the New Era low crowns than they are standard 59/50's.
'74 Twins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/04/13 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I seem to be late for this show but I have a sizeable collection of both 5950s and EFF caps.

Similarities: the sizing, IMO, is very similar, assuming of course New Era gets the sizing right. (NE has an, er, problem with consistency.) Also, your standard 6-panel EFF cap fits like a NE low-crowner, with one big exception: NE LC caps mold to your head better. I'm not knocking EFF, but their caps' front crowns tend to stick up in three places, where the panels meet the seams. Don't know why this is, but I kind of dislike it.

Differences: The 8-panel caps are little more than beanies. I really like the attention to historical accuracy, but they are not very pragmatic caps, and the floppy brim, let's face it, looks odd and rather silly. And the overall construction of the 8-panels and 6-panels are quite different than NE's. EFF caps look more crafted, as opposed to NE's assembly-line hats.

Also, the blue on the Royals caps bled onto the "M"? Excuse me, but aren't caps supposed to, like, be rain-proof to some extent? This is very disappointing.

I tend to wear my NE caps in the summer and EFF caps in the cooler months.
REAZiiN
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/04/13 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
'74 Twins wrote:

I'm the exact opposite. Usually wear my fitteds in the colder months and my EFF caps in the summer
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/04/13 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
'74 Twins wrote:
I seem to be late for this show but I have a sizeable collection of both 5950s and EFF caps.

Similarities: the sizing, IMO, is very similar, assuming of course New Era gets the sizing right. (NE has an, er, problem with consistency.) Also, your standard 6-panel EFF cap fits like a NE low-crowner, with one big exception: NE LC caps mold to your head better. I'm not knocking EFF, but their caps' front crowns tend to stick up in three places, where the panels meet the seams. Don't know why this is, but I kind of dislike it.

Differences: The 8-panel caps are little more than beanies. I really like the attention to historical accuracy, but they are not very pragmatic caps, and the floppy brim, let's face it, looks odd and rather silly. And the overall construction of the 8-panels and 6-panels are quite different than NE's. EFF caps look more crafted, as opposed to NE's assembly-line hats.

Also, the blue on the Royals caps bled onto the "M"? Excuse me, but aren't caps supposed to, like, be rain-proof to some extent? This is very disappointing.

I wouldn't call EFF caps "low crowns", they're really only slightly smaller crowns. They're trying to replicate how caps looked in the 40s through 60s and they combine different features of the companies that used to exist back then.

I agree with you on the 8-panels, although I got the brim to look alright on my head though so I was satisfied with wearing them. Or, I just wear them backwards.

I definitley wear NE caps in the summer and EFF caps at colder times. That's the thing about EFF caps, they're made of more fragile material and I don't want to ruin them by sweating...
ay
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/04/13 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah i wouldn't call them low crowns either. slightly less structured and slightly lower crowned...
bobsbargains
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/13/13 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
'74 Twins wrote:

I wouldn't call EFF caps "low crowns", they're really only slightly smaller crowns. They're trying to replicate how caps looked in the 40s through 60s and they combine different features of the companies that used to exist back then.

I agree with you on the 8-panels, although I got the brim to look alright on my head though so I was satisfied with wearing them. Or, I just wear them backwards.

I definitley wear NE caps in the summer and EFF caps at colder times. That's the thing about EFF caps, they're made of more fragile material and I don't want to ruin them by sweating...

Are the brims on the 6 panels stiff like a 59fifty?
Able to get a nice curve etc?
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/13/13 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
bobsbargains wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:
'74 Twins wrote:

Are the brims on the 6 panels stiff like a 59fifty?
Able to get a nice curve etc?

They usually come pre-curved. Sometimes they aren't though. Only the 8-panel caps don't have stiff brims.
'74 Twins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/13/13 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Really, Insomniac? My EFF caps usually come flat-brimmed. My last 2 EFF purchases' brims have been quite hard to keep bent, though. I don't know why this is. I try to work them but they always end up straightening back (not totally, of course). This is kind of a shame to me.

How did you get your 8-panel's brim to shape? I really like the Louisville Colonels cap I bought, and I'd wear it more if I could get the brim to behave. But I guess that's the charm of the cap. I knew what I was getting in to....
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/17/13 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
'74 Twins wrote:
Really, Insomniac? My EFF caps usually come flat-brimmed. My last 2 EFF purchases' brims have been quite hard to keep bent, though. I don't know why this is. I try to work them but they always end up straightening back (not totally, of course). This is kind of a shame to me.

How did you get your 8-panel's brim to shape? I really like the Louisville Colonels cap I bought, and I'd wear it more if I could get the brim to behave. But I guess that's the charm of the cap. I knew what I was getting in to....

All but my most recent 6-panel caps have had pre-curved visors. They must have recently stopped doing it or perhaps it's only certain ones they do it to.

With the 8-panel, you just have to work it into the right place each time you put it on. You might have to crease it a little in some places.
Sauced
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/24/13 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's my 1931 Homestead Grays cap. looking to get a few more.

REAZiiN
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/24/13 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
^^^^ so clean, such a classic
biznash
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 06/25/13 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sauced wrote:
Here's my 1931 Homestead Grays cap. looking to get a few more.

Looks pretty sick, Sauced. I just picked up an Oakland Oaks off Hatclub's sale. I'll post some pics once it arrives. They have some crazy discounts on EFF right now on their sale page.
http://www.hatclub.com/sale.html?manufacturer=120
blueturf
Gold Member

Post Posted: 07/02/13 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have found with EFF that I can go down a size if necessary and the hat still fits comfortably. I wear a 7 1/2 but don't mind the fit of a 7 3/8 in EFF. I have to stretch a New Era 7 3/8 and even then it isn't very comfortable.

If you are looking for old stock on eBay, I prefer the crown of the hats made about 10 years ago - the hats with the blue EFF tag and the black leather headband. Some of the earlier hats with brown leather headbands are still great, but not as comfortable as the black leather. The cotton bands of today are fine, but the crowns do seem to get "pointy" on some hats.

My newest EFF hat is strange - It is a Mets logo. The guy I got it from claimed a friend of his had a one-off made by EFF. EFF doesn't have an MLB license and I doubt they would do a one-off like this - it is possible the embroidery was done afterward, but if so, it was done well.

I am not really a Mets fan, but I couldn't pass it up.

Here is my entire EFF collection. The four on the top row of this picture are the older leather band hats. My favorites are the Seattle Steelheads and the New Orleans Pelicans.

The bottom row in this photo is the rest of my EFF collection. The top row are other melton wool hats I have. (I also have three Cooperstown Ballcap Co. hats that are not pictured) The outside hats on the top row are New Era 19Twenty, and the A's and Sox hats next to them are from a melton wool release from New Era about 12 years ago. The Braves hat was a repro done by Mitchel & Ness in the style of old KM Pro hats - it is by far my favorite hat in my collection.

ay
Gold Member

Post Posted: 07/02/13 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very cool. The old Royals style with the huge M was weird.

What size is that Mets one? Feel like letting it go to a Mets fan? Smile
Page 2 of 8   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: