Stiffen Up the BrimView previous topic :: View next topic  
mark17820

Post Posted: 05/09/12 10:22 pm    Post subject: Stiffen Up the Brim Reply with quote
Hey guys I got water on the brim of one of my hats and now it's really flimsy. Does anyone know of a method that would help stiffen it back up a little?
Joogiee
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 05/09/12 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a cap in a similar situation and it has never really fully recovered. The best I could do is dry it out as much as possible and leave it under some heavy books for a few days. That helped quite a bit but i can still feel the softer brim.
mark17820

Post Posted: 05/09/12 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Joogiee wrote:
I have a cap in a similar situation and it has never really fully recovered. The best I could do is dry it out as much as possible and leave it under some heavy books for a few days. That helped quite a bit but i can still feel the softer brim.

Yeah I hate how soft it feels now haha. I left it under some books last night and i'm still trying to see if it will dry a little more
Joogiee
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 05/09/12 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
mark17820 wrote:
Joogiee wrote:

Yeah I hate how soft it feels now haha. I left it under some books last night and i'm still trying to see if it will dry a little more

yeah it wouldnt really bother me but theres the issue of the brim quickly just twisting up after I get it into the perfect curve. I can literally touch it maybe once with a finger and next thing I know the brim is completely crooked again.
ocandstiggs

Post Posted: 07/24/17 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just bought a vintage Erie SeaWolves snapback with a brim that is at best 'broken-in' and at worst 'flaccid.' Anyone have a technique for stiffening a brim? Barring any better suggestion, I think I'm going to try spray starch (or maybe I'll just live with it).
Ronnieb

Post Posted: 07/24/17 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ocandstiggs wrote:
I just bought a vintage Erie SeaWolves snapback with a brim that is at best 'broken-in' and at worst 'flaccid.' Anyone have a technique for stiffening a brim? Barring any better suggestion, I think I'm going to try spray starch (or maybe I'll just live with it).

Had a cap like this after running it through the wash. Had to get rid of it, couldn't find anything that worked.

If you have an older cap, send it to procaprepair, he can replace visor board.
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/24/17 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soak the brim in starch and iron it under a towel.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/16/17 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
dbacks_Nation wrote:
Soak the brim in starch and iron it under a towel.

Thanks for the tip, dbacks. Tried this without the starch and the brim on my latest Ebay pickup is much flatter now (was in awful shape previously) but not any stiffer yet of course.

As for the starch, do you recommend a certain product? Would Purex Sta-Flo work? Also, is the Re-cap 'Shape' solution not recommended for this?
Dinsmore16

Post Posted: 10/17/17 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've used spray starch for reshaping crowns on the brim before, it does the trick for stiffening. Watch out for left over residue when it dries, however.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/21/17 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dinsmore16 wrote:
I've used spray starch for reshaping crowns on the brim before, it does the trick for stiffening. Watch out for left over residue when it dries, however.

Yeah, the store bought starch spray I used on one attempt left a nasty residue at first though it luckily went away quite quickly. It also caused the color from the cap to run onto the towel during ironing. Probably not gonna use it again.

---

I gave my re-cap 'shape' spray a try and it's worked very well. I'm not too surprised since it made the buckram on one of my caps rock hard the time I tried to use it for fixing a crown (haven't used it since for that lol).

The ingredients on the bottle are quite different from the starch spray bottles I've used; it seems to be mostly alcohol. I've seen some DIY sites recommending diluted potato vodka to stiffen material, do you guys think that would simulate the re-cap 'shape' spray?

Big Cappi
Rookie

Post Posted: 10/21/17 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bet you could probably get those ingredients listed on the bottle at your local pharmacy.
I don't know how much it would cost but I bet they could order it for you. I guess you would have to figure out the proportions that would work for you.

I have been lucky that I have not had any brim issues. I did take a brim off two hats to get the brim I wanted on another. Big mistake for me. It was very difficult for me to get it attached. I used a glue gun and did my best to sew some of it on as well.

Lets just say it was a Frankenhat. I will never try that again. It looked like Ray Charles did the sewing job.

It sounds like Dbacks had the best idea for the buck.
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: