How Do I Break In a New NEW ERA Cap?View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
seth
Junior Member


Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 64

Post Posted: 01/04/08 9:53 pm    Post subject: How Do I Break In a New NEW ERA Cap? Reply with quote
I need Help or advice on beaking in a NEW ERA Cap without the whole process of waiting along time?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hatcollect
Beginner


Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 7

Post Posted: 01/04/08 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can buy a certain product at hat stores (at most malls) which is made to help break in the bill to a perfect curve. This particular company is actually called "Perfect Curve".

Good luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kingjames
Rookie


Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 17
Location: ATL

Post Posted: 01/04/08 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you want to curve the bill, try to find something round that is bigger than a softball [a mini basketball is perfect] and put it on the underside of the bill. Wrap about 3-4 rubber bands around the ball and the bill and let it sit for about 2 hours. If you want it to be more rounded, use a smaller round object [like a baseball] and more rubber bands, for a longer time. If you want to make the logo panel less boxy this might sound crazy but works for me. Hang the hat from a hook [like a robe hook or a coat rack]. Attach a clothes pin to the bill, then attach a coffee mug or something with similar weight to the clothes pin. It will pull the top of the hat back a little and appear less boxy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seriouscaps
Beginner


Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 8

Post Posted: 01/07/08 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What needs to be broken in? I've purchased about thirty wool, fitted caps over the years and I just wear them new and try to keep them looking as new as possible. Too much breaking in makes them look like they are worn by a redneck truck driver eating chicken-fried steak and mashed potatoes at a truck-stop diner in Waco, Texas at 3:00 in the morning.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
capturetheflag
Beginner


Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 6

Post Posted: 01/07/08 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another way is to curve the bill around a baseball, held in place with a rubber band and let it go through a cycle in a dish washer. No soap and no heat. Alot of people are worried about the dishwasher, but its worth a try.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
monk3y
Gold Member


Joined: 05 Jan 2008
Posts: 224

Post Posted: 01/09/08 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wear it. In about 2 weeks time it will be broken in
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrock
Rookie


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 28

Post Posted: 03/07/08 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use a spray bottle of water wet the hat and wear it till it drys
________
Herbalaire


Last edited by jrock on 02/25/11 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaySickClothing
Junior Member


Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Posts: 68
Location: The Bay Area

Post Posted: 04/24/08 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i prefer NOT to break in my caps lol... i like to rock em as if theyre brand new and when they break in, i get a new one!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
BaySickClothing
Junior Member


Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Posts: 68
Location: The Bay Area

Post Posted: 04/24/08 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kingjames wrote:
If you want to curve the bill, try to find something round that is bigger than a softball [a mini basketball is perfect] and put it on the underside of the bill. Wrap about 3-4 rubber bands around the ball and the bill and let it sit for about 2 hours. If you want it to be more rounded, use a smaller round object [like a baseball] and more rubber bands, for a longer time. If you want to make the logo panel less boxy this might sound crazy but works for me. Hang the hat from a hook [like a robe hook or a coat rack]. Attach a clothes pin to the bill, then attach a coffee mug or something with similar weight to the clothes pin. It will pull the top of the hat back a little and appear less boxy.


that is a strange, but great idea lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mo
Gold Member


Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Posts: 243

Post Posted: 04/26/08 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BaySickClothing wrote:
kingjames wrote:
If you want to curve the bill, try to find something round that is bigger than a softball [a mini basketball is perfect] and put it on the underside of the bill. Wrap about 3-4 rubber bands around the ball and the bill and let it sit for about 2 hours. If you want it to be more rounded, use a smaller round object [like a baseball] and more rubber bands, for a longer time. If you want to make the logo panel less boxy this might sound crazy but works for me. Hang the hat from a hook [like a robe hook or a coat rack]. Attach a clothes pin to the bill, then attach a coffee mug or something with similar weight to the clothes pin. It will pull the top of the hat back a little and appear less boxy.


that is a strange, but great idea lol



hahahhah I would of never thought of that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nomis
Beginner


Joined: 01 May 2009
Posts: 6

Post Posted: 05/01/09 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got my new Giants hat for the year and was unable to find the perfect curve in any local stores. The perfect curve website is also out of stock. My goal was to get the bill to curve in a similar fashion to my previous seasons cap., Which was the 3930 batting practice cap that comes pre curved. So i rifled through my cupboard and found a beer glass that matches the diameter of the curve and secured the bill of my new cap around that and let it sit overnight. So far is a pretty nice curve, I'm going to let it sit for a couple more days to make sure its good and set. Ill get a pic up shortly.


My ghetto rig.



Comparison to my batting practice cap. Not bad, hopefully it will get a bit more extreme ew the longer i leave it.

[/img]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
B18c_tuner
New Era Addict


Joined: 08 Mar 2009
Posts: 379
Location: CA, Japan

Post Posted: 05/01/09 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nomis wrote:
I just got my new Giants hat for the year and was unable to find the perfect curve in any local stores. The perfect curve website is also out of stock. My goal was to get the bill to curve in a similar fashion to my previous seasons cap., Which was the 3930 batting practice cap that comes pre curved. So i rifled through my cupboard and found a beer glass that matches the diameter of the curve and secured the bill of my new cap around that and let it sit overnight. So far is a pretty nice curve, I'm going to let it sit for a couple more days to make sure its good and set. Ill get a pic up shortly.


My ghetto rig.



Comparison to my batting practice cap. Not bad, hopefully it will get a bit more extreme ew the longer i leave it.

[/img]


Oh s! to each his own
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jimmy
Junior Member


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 81
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Post Posted: 05/01/09 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
dammmmmmnnn. i prefer the subtle curve that comes built into most new eras
_________________
I'M FROM AUSTRALIA, MATE.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nomis
Beginner


Joined: 01 May 2009
Posts: 6

Post Posted: 05/01/09 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Heh. maybe it's a norcal thing, but i've always liked a solid curve in my caps. This recent one was flat as a pancake when i bought it, Guess that's why i like the batting practice styles so much, already done the curving work for you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gemini
Junior Member


Joined: 03 May 2009
Posts: 81

Post Posted: 05/03/09 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not knockin anyone's style but I could NEVER curve the bill of any of my 5950s. I prefer a brand spankin new fresh fitted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Page 1 of 2   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum