How do i shrink my New Era cap?View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 04/20/13 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
desinho wrote:
"Wet down" how? Soak it through and through? Spray it?

I soaked the crown with mine, but it always seeps to the brim anyway. Lately the brim gets all wrinked for me though, so I need to iron them out when I finish.
kevnizzle
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 05/02/13 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I've got a 100% polyster hat that I'm tryin got shrink.
Will it work if I soak the entire hat in hot water and let it air dry?
And how many sizes will it shrink if this method works?
codyb619
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 05/02/13 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
How many sizes can you make a wool hat shrink down? I'm a 7 1/8 or 7 1/4 but I'm looking at getting a 7 1/2. Is it even possible to make it fit me?
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 05/02/13 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Probably not, the general rule seems to be that you can shrink a cap 1 full size.
codyb619
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 05/03/13 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What about shrinking and putting something behind the sweatband? As long as the bottom doesn't stick out blatantly I'd be fine with doing it to make it fit.
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 05/03/13 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
codyb619 wrote:
What about shrinking and putting something behind the sweatband? As long as the bottom doesn't stick out blatantly I'd be fine with doing it to make it fit.

I've done it with a folded paper towel before
kevnizzle
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 05/04/13 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quite the opposite of this thread BUT I've managed to stretch a 6 7/8 to a 7 1/8 and it now fits on my head Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy. Gonna stop stretching now though, as I can see the stitching at the brim is starting to give up Razz.
Anyway super happy that it fits now Very Happy ( it was the magneto magnetic brim one)
ay
Gold Member

Post Posted: 07/17/13 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone been able to shrink a 5950 two sizes?

Are the old BP caps shrink able?
kevnizzle
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 08/10/13 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So a few months ago dbacks got me a las vegas 51's cap that i liked, only thing was that it was only available in a 7 7/8 whereas i normally wear a 7 3/8 or 7 1/2. So i tried shrinking it but it still was to big. I owned it for a couple of months without ever wearing it cause of the size but i really wanted to wear it so today i had enough. What i did was really simple :

The thing that is sticking up is just a piece of paper towel with rubber strips glued on it. I then fold the paper towel behind the sweatband and presto : the cap fits perfectly Very Happy and the great thing is, because the rubber strips are black, you cant really see them in the shadow of your forehead Very Happy
reason for the paper towel is because i didn 't want to directly glue something on the sweatband.
a real simple solution if you own a cap that is 2 to 3 sizes bigger than what you normally wear.
MudFlap
Rookie

Post Posted: 10/24/13 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The best approach yet (and I've tried a lot of them ) is very easy, very affordable, changeable and in no way alters the stitching or construction of the cap.

Here's what you do:

Buy some cotton balls (cheap, right?)

Cotton balls aren't really "balls", except they are rolled up strips of cotton.

So, unroll the cotton ball into strips.

Take the cotton strips and place them inside of the sweat band.

They can be placed on the sides, the front, the back or any combination of the three.

What's cool is that if I let my hair grow for a while and the "shrunk" cap is now a lil' tight, I just remove some of the cotton. When I get a haircut, add some back.

I don't like to have the cotton on the sides of the cap so I usually just start by placing a small strip of it in the back and take it from there.

.... more in the front, less on the sides.

It's a great way to simply dial-in the fit of a cap that didn't fit.

It works like a charm; I swear.
reags

Post Posted: 02/20/14 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So after reading all the suggestions here (cheers fellas), I tried the hot water spray + hair dryer combo and it worked fantastic on both cotton and polyester caps... In fact it worked so well that I shrank a polyester one too much accidentally but has started loosening up already after a half day of use. So I was just wondering if anyone knows whether the cap will remain sized to your head once shrunk, or will it continue to stretch and loosen up by itself to its original size (in a similar way to when a hat is stretched)?

Thanks
proc2000

Post Posted: 03/10/14 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did the oven trick. It worked.

I picked up a Detroit Tigers road BP cap (polyester 5950). I got the inside wet (buckram?) not the bill. I put it on piece of foil on a cookie sheet and put it in the over for 10 minutes at 300 degrees.

It went down a size no question. It went from too loose (I wear a 7 3/Cool to snug. Once I wear it a few times, it'll be perfect.

I wouldn't go any more than 10 minutes or I can see the buckram (am I saying this right?) part wrinkling.

Thanks for the heads up. I have several more hats I will do this too seeing as New Era's sizing is wonky, at best.
PBONZ
Beginner

Post Posted: 05/25/14 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Johndoejohndoes wrote:
'74 Twins wrote:
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I've been experimenting with "baking" my polyester hats if they are a shade too big.

I got this idea from some website and used it on one of my less-liked caps and it has worked pretty well, and has the potential to work great, with minimal effort involved.

Basically, you set the oven at 300 degrees F (polyester shrinks at temps higher that 270). Then you wet down the cap (except for the brim) and put it on the oven rack. Leave it there for 10 to 15 minutes. It'll come out hot & smoking, so let it cool down & dry somewhere. This has shrunk my caps more than 1/2 a size. It's magical, and much better than that labor-intensive stuff that most sites recommend.

You can even shape the crown by placing the cap crown-side down on the oven rack, but this method can backfire easily because it may render the cap lopsided.

Thank you so much!

I just did this today with two new Spring Training Hats I bought (Total of $70) and it worked perfectly! I did it for 12 minutes! I would highly recommend this for someone with a New Era 100% Polyester Hat. The 7 was snug and 7 1/8 was a tiny bit too big. Bought the 7 1/8 and did this. BOOM! Awesome.

Hey I have the cincy reds BP hat and it is 100% poly.. Do you soak the whole hat except the brim and crown? Or do you just wet the band? I have a 7 1/8 and want to shrink it a bit. Thx
RobinHTP

Post Posted: 05/29/14 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Today I shrinked my LA 7 1/2, I used hot water and a hair dryer, worked really good for me. Thanks for the tip!
mheisler20

Post Posted: 10/14/14 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I just received my New Era St. Louis Cardinals cap from the MLB shop. It has the 2011 World Series patch on it. It's a tad big for my head and I'd love to try out the hot water technique to shrink it a bit. Anyone have any experience with doing this with a cap with a patch on it? I don't want to do it and end up having the patch fall off. That's money wasted and I'd rather not do that. Any tips? Thanks.
Page 8 of 11   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: