How to shrink a New Era CapView previous topic :: View next topic  
rangers311
Gold Member

Post Posted: 02/02/13 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
how do mesh hats shrink? like minor league batting practice caps? how much can you shrink one?
rangers311
Gold Member

Post Posted: 02/06/13 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anybody shrink a BP hat? Mesh 5950. Just wanna know how it shrinks
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/06/13 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
rangers311 wrote:
Anybody shrink a BP hat? Mesh 5950. Just wanna know how it shrinks

The older ones? The sweatband is wool, so it's possible.
codyb619
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 02/26/13 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Normally what I do is turn the faucet on hot, get the sweatband soaked (or panels if need be), hold it next to my space heater while I check out this site and try it on every couple minutes. I wear a small 7 1/4 or big 7 1/8 so I don't need to shrink it much. Works perfect every time.
'74 Twins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 03/20/13 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I've been experimenting with "baking" my polyester hats if they are a shade too big.

I got this idea from some website and used it on one of my less-liked caps and it has worked pretty well, and has the potential to work great, with minimal effort involved.

Basically, you set the oven at 300 degrees F (polyester shrinks at temps higher that 270). Then you wet down the cap (except for the brim) and put it on the oven rack. Leave it there for 10 to 15 minutes. It'll come out hot & smoking, so let it cool down & dry somewhere. This has shrunk my caps more than 1/2 a size. It's magical, and much better than that labor-intensive stuff that most sites recommend.

You can even shape the crown by placing the cap crown-side down on the oven rack, but this method can backfire easily because it may render the cap lopsided.
pauloantonio
Rookie

Post Posted: 03/20/13 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Garment steamers do a pretty good job pretty fast. You could even use an iron that has a good steam option.
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/29/13 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
'74 Twins wrote:
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I've been experimenting with "baking" my polyester hats if they are a shade too big.

I got this idea from some website and used it on one of my less-liked caps and it has worked pretty well, and has the potential to work great, with minimal effort involved.

Basically, you set the oven at 300 degrees F (polyester shrinks at temps higher that 270). Then you wet down the cap (except for the brim) and put it on the oven rack. Leave it there for 10 to 15 minutes. It'll come out hot & smoking, so let it cool down & dry somewhere. This has shrunk my caps more than 1/2 a size. It's magical, and much better than that labor-intensive stuff that most sites recommend.

You can even shape the crown by placing the cap crown-side down on the oven rack, but this method can backfire easily because it may render the cap lopsided.

Going to give this a try right now....

God speed, HatClub San Diego Padres 1979 cap....
kevnizzle
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 03/29/13 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
dbacks_Nation wrote:
'74 Twins wrote:

I wish you luck man. Let us know how it turned out Razz
JJL929
Rookie

Post Posted: 03/29/13 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kevnizzle wrote:
dbacks_Nation wrote:
'74 Twins wrote:

I tried this and am willing to say that it didn't turn out so hot. I may have done it wrong, but the crown of my hat turned out all wrinkly. I think the inner fabric shrunk too much for the outer fabric.
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/31/13 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kevnizzle wrote:
dbacks_Nation wrote:
'74 Twins wrote:

I've tried it the past 3 nights

Night 1:
300F at 10 minutes
no change

Night 2:
300F at 15 minutes
no change

Night 3:
325F at 20 minutes
no change
kevnizzle
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 03/31/13 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
dbacks_Nation wrote:
kevnizzle wrote:
dbacks_Nation wrote:
'74 Twins wrote:

I've tried it the past 3 nights

Night 1:
300F at 10 minutes
no change

Night 2:
300F at 15 minutes
no change

Night 3:
325F at 20 minutes
no change

A shame that it didn't work for you. But how's the look of the cap? Is it still the same, or has the oven in , some way or another, altered how the cap looks?
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 04/01/13 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The brim got a little wrinkled between the seams, but the iron fixed those right up.
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 04/04/13 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Going to try this on a brand new cap, 100% Polyester that has never been worn before; stickers just came off. It is a custom cap, so it is not "Performance Polyester" if that even makes a difference. It is Chinese made.

Rolling at 300 at 20 minutes.
Si1entRaider

Post Posted: 04/05/13 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let us know DB.

I just bought 5 x 7 3/8 Authentics from new era and only 2 are a good fit. The sizing quality control is atrocious I have to say.

Will probs just do the paper towel trick unless roasting them works!
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 04/05/13 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Si1entRaider wrote:
Let us know DB.

I just bought 5 x 7 3/8 Authentics from new era and only 2 are a good fit. The sizing quality control is atrocious I have to say.

Will probs just do the paper towel trick unless roasting them works!

Seemed to actually work this time. I put some aluminum foil down this time instead of a cookie sheet, and used hit water to wet the cap (except the front two panels and the brim). Put it in the oven for 320 degrees at 20 minutes.
Page 3 of 4   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: