How to shrink a New Era CapView previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike24
Gold Member

Post Posted: 03/21/12 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: How to shrink a New Era Cap Reply with quote
That worked for me too dude. After I get the hat wet nice warm/hot water, I throw it in the dryer on one of those Shoe rack inserts for the dryer. When it is just about dry, I take it out while still toasty and throw that bad boy on. Sometimes its pretty hot but it works. I'm not a huge fan of the big bulky crown so I don't worry to much about that part being absolutely perfect.
HAS ANYONE EVER TRIED SHRINKING A LOW PROFILE HAT???WHAT WAS YOUR OUTCOME?
FMJ

Post Posted: 03/24/12 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i boiled a pot of water and held a few hats about 2-3 inches over for 30 seconds , then dried on hot for about 15-20 seconds, and repeated about 5 times each hat. to be honest i havent noticed a big difference
DBlock72
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 03/24/12 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
FMJ wrote:
i boiled a pot of water and held a few hats about 2-3 inches over for 30 seconds , then dried on hot for about 15-20 seconds, and repeated about 5 times each hat. to be honest i havent noticed a big difference

What materials are the hats made out of? That method works best for wool or cotton crowns.
Super Ran
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 07/30/12 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had that i got off ebay that was to big, i left it in my car for 4 days and the heat from being in the car shrunk the cap and now it fits better.
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/30/12 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Polyester or wool?
Super Ran
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 07/30/12 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wool
XclickX
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/30/12 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Super Ran wrote:
I had that i got off ebay that was to big, i left it in my car for 4 days and the heat from being in the car shrunk the cap and now it fits better.

I've done this before with a wool hat and it worked, but when i tried it with a poly hat it did not work.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/30/12 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
XclickX wrote:
Super Ran wrote:

I've done this before with a wool hat and it worked, but when i tried it with a poly hat it did not work.

I have had some success with a poly, but I used the trunk of my car, a plastic bag, an Arizona summer and three months.

There wasn't a huge amount of shrinkage but enough to make it go from too big to slightly big.
thekidchris
Rookie

Post Posted: 08/03/12 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
^^ three months seems way to long for a little shrinkage especially in arizona?
F/MMarlin

Post Posted: 10/04/12 1:58 pm    Post subject: Hot Water Blow Dryer Method Reply with quote
Hey guys my first reply on here and I actually found a good method. I bought a Miami Marlins Home cap (Low Profile) 7 1/4 100% Poly. The cap felt just a bit bigger plus the quality control was awful. The back panels where it sticks to the top button was overlapping the front crown panels making it look silly wearing it, also the side stitching was was crunched making it not have the round look. The front though looked well shaped and even. Here is what I did and it actually made it fit great and look round and not weird. I first tried wearing it sweating it gym, running, and it did not work I figured since I knew it was poly and people had no luck with it on here. When I got home I filled an empty spray bottle with very hot water, I sprayed the 4 back panels meaning the 2 side layers and the 2 back of the cap. I got a heavy duty hair dryer (very hot) and closed in under the cap with the blow dryer, I took my time drying the cap placing the blow dryer slowly on each side and back panel of the cap including the stitching and the sweat band. I repeated the process roughly 3 times. It actually worked I was so surprised even the wrinkles from the stitching were straightened the top was finally leveled giving the cap a perfect round even shape. Try it guys and let me see how it turns out. Remember to use this process on the under part of the cap, "not the outside."
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/04/12 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Blow Dryer Method Reply with quote
F/MMarlin wrote:
Hey guys my first reply on here and I actually found a good method. I bought a Miami Marlins Home cap (Low Profile) 7 1/4 100% Poly. The cap felt just a bit bigger plus the quality control was awful. The back panels where it sticks to the top button was overlapping the front crown panels making it look silly wearing it, also the side stitching was was crunched making it not have the round look. The front though looked well shaped and even. Here is what I did and it actually made it fit great and look round and not weird. I first tried wearing it sweating it gym, running, and it did not work I figured since I knew it was poly and people had no luck with it on here. When I got home I filled an empty spray bottle with very hot water, I sprayed the 4 back panels meaning the 2 side layers and the 2 back of the cap. I got a heavy duty hair dryer (very hot) and closed in under the cap with the blow dryer, I took my time drying the cap placing the blow dryer slowly on each side and back panel of the cap including the stitching and the sweat band. I repeated the process roughly 3 times. It actually worked I was so surprised even the wrinkles from the stitching were straightened the top was finally leveled giving the cap a perfect round even shape. Try it guys and let me see how it turns out. Remember to use this process on the under part of the cap, "not the outside."

Good tips! I've tried similar and gotten good results. I also throw my caps in the dryer for a few cycles too, seems to do a decent job at it.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/04/12 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Blow Dryer Method Reply with quote
F/MMarlin wrote:

I've done this exact thing but with steam instead of the water bottle (used the water bottle too) and it's great to shape the crown but I have had nominal success with the shrinking aspect.

@ thekidchris - the 3 months was more a function of being away but I have found that the longer and the hotter the better.
rangers311
Gold Member

Post Posted: 01/02/13 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I wear a 7 1/4 or 7 3/8, could I shrink a 7 5/8 to my size??
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 01/03/13 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
rangers311 wrote:
If I wear a 7 1/4 or 7 3/8, could I shrink a 7 5/8 to my size??

General rule of thumb is you can shrink one size down, if you were a larger 3/8's you may have a shot especially if it is a smaller 5/8's.
mbartola
Beginner

Post Posted: 01/11/13 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will the method listed at the top of this thread shrink a cap that is 3 sizes too big? I wear a 7 1/4 and I am considering buying a 7 5/8. I've never shrunk a cap 3 sizes down.
Page 2 of 4   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: