New Era Authentics GREY Underbill VS. BLACK UnderbillView previous topic :: View next topic  
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/12/11 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
john_doe wrote:
I've been wanting to add to this post for awhile.

I know a lot of people on here are all about the gray underbrims and the white sweatbands, but those white sweatbands are so hard to keep clean.

You can clean it with Shout and a toothbrush, but even though it gets clean, there can still be a kind of nasty yellow color to the sweatband when it dries.

This is my bad luck blue Phillies that I found deadstock a few years ago, maybe 2004 or 2005?

After wearing in the humid Cincinnati summers and a couple of DJ gigs, I tried to clean it. The sweatband wasn't white anymore (haha), and the gray underbill had sweatmarks on it. I might have went overboard, because it seemed worse after cleaning:

Maybe I went too far with rinsing the sweatband, but as you can see, the blue bled into the sweatband. I love this hat, but I just can't wear it anymore.

As someone above stated, the best combination is the black sweatband with the green underbill:

That's a recent Cooperstown release. It's a little big, so I have a sweatpad (the blue spongy looking thing) behind the actual sweatband. Oh, and you can see where I put my sizing stickers on all my hats. Yeah, I know, weird. Don't ask.

I don't mind any color underbrim, but if it's going to be a gray one, it's not going to be a hat that I wear a lot in really humid weather. That's just me, though.

John

The hats from the period that Phillies hat came from (early 90's) were notorious for being very fast and easy to run colourwise.

It was late 90's when NE began doctoring their wool with a product from 3M to keep the dyes from running. It wasn't perfect because there is only so much you can do with wool (or wool blends, fun fact: NE could only do 4 or 5 colours in 100% wool so many on fields that said were 100% wool were in fact blends ie the teal Marlins) It was though a vast improvement over the previous generation.

JD, I would still keep that hat in the rotation but it would be in my yard work, go for a run etc spot. Nothing wrong with sporting a 'broken in' hat in the right circumstances.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/12/11 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wore my Surprise Rafters Arizona Fall League on field hat today, noticed for the first time it has a navy under bill.

Yet another colour to add to the debate.
Manhattan Mike

Post Posted: 09/13/11 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
The hats from the period that Phillies hat came from (early 90's) were notorious for being very fast and easy to run colourwise.

It was late 90's when NE began doctoring their wool with a product from 3M to keep the dyes from running. It wasn't perfect because there is only so much you can do with wool (or wool blends, fun fact: NE could only do 4 or 5 colours in 100% wool so many on fields that said were 100% wool were in fact blends ie the teal Marlins) It was though a vast improvement over the previous generation.

Dude - this explains what I've started to realize: The best quality new era on fields were made in the early 2000s in the years before the switch to poly. mostly 100 percent wool, all made in u.s., better wool. They also had better, stiffer brims and embroidery. This really makes me wish I had taken better care of and kept the ones I had in high school and college. I didn't mind the poly at first but now I think they just have a much cheaper feel to them, especially the china made ones. Guess I'll be trollin ebay from more old school on fields.
EllisBurks88
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 09/19/11 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I prefer the black as opposed to both gray or green undersides. Not sure how I feel about the wool vs. polyester argument. I do like how the bill/visor/brim has been enlarged slightly. Take a look at a grey underside from 2000, and compare it to todays caps, *slightly* bigger. Actually, I just compared and I don't see a brim size difference. Could have sworn I read that the brim was enlarged when they "redesigned" the on-fields.
Page 4 of 4   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: