New Era Authentics GREY Underbill VS. BLACK UnderbillView previous topic :: View next topic  
Cartoon Bird

Post Posted: 08/04/11 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I.MerksOne.E wrote:
Cartoon Bird wrote:
Interesting info on the under-bill color. I've never owned a grey under-bill cap, just green and the current black. Any reason why green was chosen originally?

I think it had something to do with Green being the least used color and they had excess of that particular color so they just used it as the underbrim color.

*waits for Insomniac to set the record straight* lol

When I was a kid, I always imagined it had to do with the light reflecting off the grass being green, therefore, having green fabric under the visor would cancel out any glare. Laughing
Manhattan Mike

Post Posted: 08/04/11 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Generally I like the new black but the gray looks a lot better on some hats, mainly non black hats with lighter colored brims, like the a's or the red nationals.

On most of the dark on fields i think the black under brims looks good. I do think it's funny how fast the old on fields became more fashionable. I remember a couple years ago I liked the new on fields with the raised batter man and poly construction a lot better than my old ones. Now I could probably sell my old on fields with the gray unders for a grip lol . the old wool on fields did look better new but shrunk way too much and the flat batter man sucked compared to the new raised imo.
jfi
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 08/21/11 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Question for everyone here. Were there any wool hats in the authentic collection that only came in black underbrims? I purchased a wool Mariners hat and was surprised to find it had a black underbrim instead of gray. I am also suspecting that the purple alternate Rockies hat only came in a black underbrim based on some pictures I have seen. Does anyone have any information?
andrewmaxwell
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 08/21/11 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jfi wrote:
Question for everyone here. Were there any wool hats in the authentic collection that only came in black underbrims? I purchased a wool Mariners hat and was surprised to find it had a black underbrim instead of gray. I am also suspecting that the purple alternate Rockies hat only came in a black underbrim based on some pictures I have seen. Does anyone have any information?

I thought that the switch to black from grey underbrims was made before the switch from wool to polyester. Could be very wrong though.

www.milbtravels.blogspot.com
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/21/11 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I.MerksOne.E wrote:
Cartoon Bird wrote:
Interesting info on the under-bill color. I've never owned a grey under-bill cap, just green and the current black. Any reason why green was chosen originally?

I think it had something to do with Green being the least used color and they had excess of that particular color so they just used it as the underbrim color.

*waits for Insomniac to set the record straight* lol

I actually have no idea why they originally green, all I know is that it's been green pretty much since the beginning.

andrewmaxwell wrote:
I thought that the switch to black from grey underbrims was made before the switch from wool to polyester. Could be very wrong though.

Some teams experimented with it, beginning around 2001/2002. The Angels, Giants, Rangers, and Rockies were the main ones. Most teams kept gray until the switch was made in 2007.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/22/11 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Mariners brought out the black under bill before the league wide switch.

IIRC the Angels and Mariners were the only ones to go black on their primary hats, the Giants (black SF), Rangers (black bill) and Rockies (purple alt) were alternate hats.

While the black under bill has grown on me, green is still my preference with no batterman. The black sweatband though I think is a huge upgrade over the white.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/22/11 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:
The Mariners brought out the black under bill before the league wide switch.

IIRC the Angels and Mariners were the only ones to go black on their primary hats, the Giants (black SF), Rangers (black bill) and Rockies (purple alt) were alternate hats.

While the black under bill has grown on me, green is still my preference with no batterman. The black sweatband though I think is a huge upgrade over the white.

I didn't know about the Mariners! I learned something new.

I agree with you. Green undersides w/ black sweatbands. Just like the polyester throwback from the 2007 season, I believe.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/22/11 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bill Bavasi is often cited as the originator of the switch for the Angels and Mariners to black under bills as the Mariners swiched to them during his tenure as GM and he had previously worked in the Angels front office. He though was working for the Dodgers when the Angels made the switch.

I do seem to recall an article somewhere that Bavasi in discussing the switch felt that it offered a tactical advantage to his team as the black would reduce glare.

Man those throwbacks were hard to get, Lids had them for about 5 minutes. I wish I would have bought more. I seem to recall that the Cubs and Braves were that way, the Pelicans was black and the Indians, Mariners and Padres were still wool.
702cinsity

Post Posted: 08/22/11 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
black is cool but man i wish there was still the option of getting current onfield caps 100% wool with the grey underbill.

btw what year exactly did the mariners and angels or other teams start experimenting with black underbills?

when i read that the year the angels might have started weraring black underbill since they change to their current red lids in 2002, right away i said no it had to be a year or two before when they still had their old "Disney winged A cap"... so i say maybe 2000 or 2001?

here's a pic i found online, and man im searching for this type of home cap grey or black bill, good thing i just got a job back i might check if there's still ability at mickey's place... if not ebay or maybe some one here in the forum Wink

702cinsity

Post Posted: 08/22/11 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
one thing i will say about different color underbill caps.... Black/w raised embroidery batter man... Grey/w older style flat embroidery batter man... Green/w no batterman .... imo mix matching these combination dont go too well
702cinsity

Post Posted: 08/22/11 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:
Bill Bavasi is often cited as the originator of the switch for the Angels and Mariners to black under bills as the Mariners swiched to them during his tenure as GM and he had previously worked in the Angels front office. He though was working for the Dodgers when the Angels made the switch.

I do seem to recall an article somewhere that Bavasi in discussing the switch felt that it offered a tactical advantage to his team as the black would reduce glare.

Man those throwbacks were hard to get, Lids had them for about 5 minutes. I wish I would have bought more. I seem to recall that the Cubs and Braves were that way, the Pelicans was black and the Indians, Mariners and Padres were still wool.

where they really that hard to get man? i got 6 of those caps for $5 in the christmas lids sale of 08'... 2 padres one 7 1/4 and one 7 3/8 2 cubs 7 1/4 and one 7 3/8 (which i dont have none of them anymore shooted two of these to insomniac186) and i still got the cleveland wool and boston braves (poly)

pelicans one they didnt have at all on that christmas sale and looks poly material too... ps which one was the mariners one?

btw pelicans one is a sick ass cap USC type colors, performance poly material green underbill its sure one rare hard to find cap by now
http://www.lids.com/pwr/product-reviews/MLB/St-Petersburg-Pelicans/Headwear/New-Era/p/20118527-St-Petersburg-Pelicans-2007-AC-Turn-Back-the-Clock.html
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/22/11 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
702cinsity wrote:
black is cool but man i wish there was still the option of getting current onfield caps 100% wool with the grey underbill.

btw what year exactly did the mariners and angels or other teams start experimenting with black underbills?

when i read that the year the angels might have started weraring black underbill since they change to their current red lids in 2002, right away i said no it had to be a year or two before when they still had their old "Disney winged A cap"... so i say maybe 2000 or 2001?

here's a pic i found online, and man im searching for this type of home cap grey or black bill, good thing i just got a job back i might check if there's still ability at mickey's place... if not ebay or maybe some one here in the forum Wink

Oh yeah I forgot about those! The Angels were then definitley the first to use black undersides. BTW that particular cap belongs to a guy named Rob, he's a big Angels collector. I have spoken to him a few times.
jfi
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 08/22/11 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks everyone! I have been searching for a little while for a purple Rockies alt with a gray underbrim but it appears I may have been looking for a non-existent hat Smile
john_doe
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 09/11/11 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been wanting to add to this post for awhile.

I know a lot of people on here are all about the gray underbrims and the white sweatbands, but those white sweatbands are so hard to keep clean.

You can clean it with Shout and a toothbrush, but even though it gets clean, there can still be a kind of nasty yellow color to the sweatband when it dries.

This is my bad luck blue Phillies that I found deadstock a few years ago, maybe 2004 or 2005?

After wearing in the humid Cincinnati summers and a couple of DJ gigs, I tried to clean it. The sweatband wasn't white anymore (haha), and the gray underbill had sweatmarks on it. I might have went overboard, because it seemed worse after cleaning:

Maybe I went too far with rinsing the sweatband, but as you can see, the blue bled into the sweatband. I love this hat, but I just can't wear it anymore.

As someone above stated, the best combination is the black sweatband with the green underbill:

That's a recent Cooperstown release. It's a little big, so I have a sweatpad (the blue spongy looking thing) behind the actual sweatband. Oh, and you can see where I put my sizing stickers on all my hats. Yeah, I know, weird. Don't ask.

I don't mind any color underbrim, but if it's going to be a gray one, it's not going to be a hat that I wear a lot in really humid weather. That's just me, though.

John
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/12/11 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
702cinsity wrote:
Hat Guru wrote:

where they really that hard to get man? i got 6 of those caps for $5 in the christmas lids sale of 08'... 2 padres one 7 1/4 and one 7 3/8 2 cubs 7 1/4 and one 7 3/8 (which i dont have none of them anymore shooted two of these to insomniac186) and i still got the cleveland wool and boston braves (poly)

pelicans one they didnt have at all on that christmas sale and looks poly material too... ps which one was the mariners one?

btw pelicans one is a sick ass cap USC type colors, performance poly material green underbill its sure one rare hard to find cap by now
http://www.lids.com/pwr/product-reviews/MLB/St-Petersburg-Pelicans/Headwear/New-Era/p/20118527-St-Petersburg-Pelicans-2007-AC-Turn-Back-the-Clock.html

The first shipment was gone within a week, there must have been a restock in the mythical days of timely restocks from NE.

$5? Damn. I would have stocked up on that.

The Cubs, Braves and Pelicans were polys and the others as far as I know were wool. The Pelicans I am pretty sure has a black underbill (I am 2000 miles away from being able to check mine)

The Mariners was the 1977 cap with the unlucky yellow trident 'M', my favorite Mariners cap. Would love one in USA poly.

I had no idea about the Disney Angels black underbill, this is why this site rocks even when you think you know it all you still can learn more.

I really don't understand the love of the white sweatband some people have, aesthetically I like the green underbill/black sweatband combo but practically the black underbill is the best. It takes a lot of sweating to register anything on those and sweatstains on the USA poly caps tend to wash right out with a little rain, harder to do on an underbill that's gray or green.
Page 3 of 4   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: