New Era Authentics GREY Underbill VS. BLACK UnderbillView previous topic :: View next topic  
jfi
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 07/12/11 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like the grey underbill better than the black.
Ducis36
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/13/11 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Grey all the way!
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/13/11 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Black is better if you're out in the sun, gray makes me feel more alert, which is why they switched from green to gray in the first place, if anyone wants to know the story let me know. I still love the classic green though.
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/13/11 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It all depends on the cap for me. I have never owned a cap with a green underbill, but I've been keeping my eye on an O's hat with the green.
REAZiiN
Gold Member

Post Posted: 07/13/11 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
dbacks_Nation wrote:
It all depends on the cap for me. I have never owned a cap with a green underbill, but I've been keeping my eye on an O's hat with the green.

i totally agree
RichieD91
Gold Member

Post Posted: 07/13/11 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
Black is better if you're out in the sun, gray makes me feel more alert, which is why they switched from green to gray in the first place, if anyone wants to know the story let me know. I still love the classic green though.

Oh please do tell alot of my knowledge about MLB comes from things you have mentioned from time to time and I'm pretty sure people would want to know the story your kind of my MLBpedia when I need to find out something I've been asked lol
REAZiiN
Gold Member

Post Posted: 07/13/11 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
please do tell
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/13/11 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The military did a study in the 1960s to see which color under a cap's visor kept troops more alert, and found that gray worked the best. I have noticed this to be true, since I am used to black I notice a difference if I decide to wear a cap with gray. The first team to switch from green to gray was the Reds in the late 60s after learning about that study. A few teams quickly followed, such as the Giants and White Sox. The rest of the teams gradually switched over. The last holdouts were the Twins and Yankees, which finally switched to gray in 1994. I believe the last NL team was the Cubs, who switched in 1993.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/14/11 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
The military did a study in the 1960s to see which color under a cap's visor kept troops more alert, and found that gray worked the best. I have noticed this to be true, since I am used to black I notice a difference if I decide to wear a cap with gray. The first team to switch from green to gray was the Reds in the late 60s after learning about that study. A few teams quickly followed, such as the Giants and White Sox. The rest of the teams gradually switched over. The last holdouts were the Twins and Yankees, which finally switched to gray in 1994. I believe the last NL team was the Cubs, who switched in 1993.

I remember hearing about that study being the reason for the change and thinking it was up there with the study from the 70's that said yellow fire trucks would be easier to spot by drivers than red ones.

I am partial to the green underbill, I do notice a difference with the black when I am in sunny locales. The grey's effect is rooted in the amount of light getting in your eyes and I too have noticed the 'alert' effect when wearing one.

I knew the Twins and Cubs hung in the longest but didn't know the Yankees were in there too, Insomniac when you can teach me new things about 5950's you are the man.
RichieD91
Gold Member

Post Posted: 07/18/11 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:

Wow you just amaze us all with your extent amount of knowledge you hold I dont know about anyone else but I propose Insomniac and everyone should have a wiki type topic with all your info you guys have provided over the time you have been on here by putting up all the links of knowledge you all have given us into one topic and it should be stickied who likes this idea?
Cartoon Bird

Post Posted: 08/03/11 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting info on the under-bill color. I've never owned a grey under-bill cap, just green and the current black. Any reason why green was chosen originally?
Toffee
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/03/11 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
As someone above said it all depends on the hat, if the hat has grey on it looks so much better with a grey underbrim. I like my Yellow, black and green underbrim coopers Pirates fitted though, the green and yellow surprisingly looks good togehter.
john_doe
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 08/03/11 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would actually prefer black sweatbands with green or black underbrims - white sweatbands are hard to keep clean and the gray underbrims can get sweat marks that won't come out. Green underbrims are easier to maintain than gray ones.

John
lalakerspurpyellow
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 08/03/11 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
grey shits all over the black underbrim
I.MerksOne.E
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 08/04/11 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cartoon Bird wrote:
Interesting info on the under-bill color. I've never owned a grey under-bill cap, just green and the current black. Any reason why green was chosen originally?

I think it had something to do with Green being the least used color and they had excess of that particular color so they just used it as the underbrim color.

*waits for Insomniac to set the record straight* lol
Page 2 of 4   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: