retro classic issuesView previous topic :: View next topic  
barto82
Beginner

Post Posted: 02/18/18 2:10 pm    Post subject: retro classic issues Reply with quote
Picked up a retro classic Blue Jays cap that was a tad big on me; I thought I'd be able to shrink it just like the classic wool caps of old but I was mistaken. I filled the cap with warm water from the sink, emptied it, then tried to mold it to my head but this created a dent in the lower crown and creases in the back panels.

Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix these issues?
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 02/18/18 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can't really help on specifics but wanted to add

I bought a CA angels Navy/ retro classic awhile back and it was 2-3 sizes too big. I could fit my whole hand in the sweatband. That got returned. I think I've returned more than I've kept.

've since gone with my truer size on a few other colors and They still feel big. Imported materials is playing a large part in this not acting like normal wool unfortunately. I haven't worn a 7 5/8 in a decade and this retro classic line may be forcing me to try. A lack of 7 7/8 hurts for me. 8s fit too big now and 7 3/4s are even slightly big. I've recommended no one to buy these online. Try on and buy these in store or buy 3 sizes and return the others. I thought the latest MLB ACs were getting bad with sizing. But this may take the cake. My CA Angels 8 fit like a 8 1/2 to 8 3/4. Worst QC I have ever encountered

Also had a Brewers M cap that had this weird dent right above the logo

It got returned as well.
barto82
Beginner

Post Posted: 02/18/18 2:38 pm    Post subject: retro classics Reply with quote
Thanks for adding, I appreciate it.

Most of my retro classics have similar bumps in the crown.

I'm thinking about using steam from the teapot to try and get these wrinkles out from the back panels.
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 02/18/18 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sometimes caps need to be stretched before attempting to shrink. Ie the materials need to be awakened. Then again this isn't your typical wool.

And I was wrong about my 7 3/4 feeling loose. It's actually a touch tight but wearable. With this line, I'd rather go too tight than too loose. And with no 7/8, options are limited. I'll never buy a 8 though after seeing the one that looked to be 8 1/2. Lids online was not very cooperative about my displeasure. I returned in store without issue though.

Hot cars tend to shrink my beater caps I wear to the gym. The ones already sweaty and dirty. A wet cap like that will shrink down pretty easily.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/18/18 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dents and creases can be improved and even fixed entirely by putting the cap on a fully inflated Nu-cap and then ironing the problem areas with steam. Put a cloth between the iron and cap if you don't want to risk burning the cap. I've only done this on poly caps so I'm not sure it would be as effective with wool.

And I have an otherwise perfect MUSA w/IM poly HC custom from last year with the same dent above the logo so those aren't limited to modern wool caps. I've ignored it to this point but I suspect the ironing trick would work on it as well.
barto82
Beginner

Post Posted: 02/18/18 3:19 pm    Post subject: retro classic issues Reply with quote
Thanks a bunch. I really think I should invest in that nu-cap. Seems worth it.
Fittedguy16
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 02/18/18 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: retro classic issues Reply with quote
barto82 wrote:
Thanks a bunch. I really think I should invest in that nu-cap. Seems worth it.

Invest in a dollar store ball, ball-pump, and some starch. Ouila! You have your very own homemade nucap.
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: