Crown BumpsView previous topic :: View next topic  
kyle287
Rookie

Post Posted: 04/19/17 4:35 pm    Post subject: Crown Bumps Reply with quote
Hey everyone,

Tried to shrink my hat in the oven for all of 2 minutes and the crown caved in slightly. Any way to reshape it?

Thanks!
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 04/20/17 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had that happen a few times. I put it back in the oven and try to reverse the damage. Fight fire with fire!!
kyle287
Rookie

Post Posted: 04/20/17 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
How would I? I tried hair spray and stuffing it with a towel or fitting it over the bottom of a pot to no avail. I kinda gave up haha.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 04/21/17 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've only handled smaller dents. I heat it back up in the oven and push the buckram dents out with my hand as the hat cools.
kyle287
Rookie

Post Posted: 04/21/17 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I might have to inflate something or stuff the hat real good to get it to come out again. The oven might shrink the rest of the hat. What do you think will fill the hat completely?
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 04/21/17 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nu cap, but it might start to melt given the temperature of a hat coming out of the oven. Maybe a smaller basketball inflated to right size?

I've tended to shy away from using the oven on hats over the past year or two. I get the same outcome with less risk using the summer sun. Unfortunately, that method only works for about 5 months out of the year for me. Sometimes in the winter I turn to the oven method in a moment of weakness.
Fittedguy16
Gold Member

Post Posted: 04/21/17 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kyle287 wrote:
I think I might have to inflate something or stuff the hat real good to get it to come out again. The oven might shrink the rest of the hat. What do you think will fill the hat completely?

You could get Nu Cap or you could could go to the dollar store and get an inflatable kids bouncy ball and an air pump and grab some starch from somewhere. Voila! You're very own $7 ghetto (but still 100% effective) nu cap Very Happy
caplover83

Post Posted: 05/22/17 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fittedguy16 wrote:
kyle287 wrote:

You could get Nu Cap or you could could go to the dollar store and get an inflatable kids bouncy ball and an air pump and grab some starch from somewhere. Voila! You're very own $7 ghetto (but still 100% effective) nu cap Very Happy

Does this work on DC wool as well? I have a couple of older hats and a couple of cheap ones I got off eBay where the buckram has some wrinkles in it and want to see if I can restore them.

I wear all of my hats so it doesn't bother me if it can't be done.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 05/23/17 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
caplover83 wrote:
Does this work on DC wool as well? I have a couple of older hats and a couple of cheap ones I got off eBay where the buckram has some wrinkles in it and want to see if I can restore them.

I wear all of my hats so it doesn't bother me if it can't be done.

Wool hats are generally the easiest the re-shape. I would start by using just water, skip the starch. Only use starch is absolutely necessary.

Wrinkles in the buckram can be difficult to remove. I have one wool hat with wrinkles in the buckram and the only way I can get them out is to use nu cap inflated all the way. Unfortunately, that also makes the hat too large to wear. Shrink the hat back down and the wrinkles return. A wrinkled or damaged buckram is a deal breaker for me.

But why not give it a shot? You've got nothing to lose.
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: