My attempt to remove NE FlagsView previous topic :: View next topic  
Fittedguy16
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 02/26/17 6:36 pm    Post subject: My attempt to remove NE Flags Reply with quote
Since I want some of the new on fields coming out, but dislike the flag (not to much, but i like a challenge). I decided to give removing some stitched flags off some old beater fashion caps. Here are my results!
This cap is some custom alt. of the Dbacks 2014 Memorial Day cap. I found it in a thrift store and it is good USA Poly.

This is a Jack's Surf Shop in Huntington Beach, California custom. It is Chinese Wool.

[/list]
The second one i forgot to show the before flag, this one was tough because it had a double colored flag. The flag was white, with the negative space filled with black thread. Both of these caps look flawless when looking at them even up close, except on the dbacks you can notice some holes, but it is not noticeable unless you look really close at it.

Last edited by Fittedguy16 on 02/26/17 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/26/17 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice job. I also enjoyed the challenge of removing the NE logo but my enjoyment started to flag (ha!) when the last bit of stitching refused to budge without a lot of false starts and eventually some unavoidable digging with the seam ripper. Not looking forward to doing it again.

Btw, the poly in the second closeup of the Memorial Day alt looks really high quality. Nice job finding it in a thrift store.
Big Cappi
Rookie

Post Posted: 02/27/17 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is a good job on those.
I find that if I use a steamer on the fabric where the flag is imprinted it loosens up the fabric and takes out the imprint.

Guy I understand the pain in rear the very last stich removal is. I usually take a break and go for it the next day.

I have attempted it on a DE and it was a mangled mess. I wonder if anyone has success taking the flag off of them?

I had ordered a Marlins DE cap without the flag on clearance but received a new one instead. I'm thinking about using a waterproof ink marker on that to hide the orange flag on the side.

It's a shame all of this has to be a bloody project but getting the look you want is worth it when it comes out right.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/27/17 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Big Cappi wrote:
That is a good job on those.
I find that if I use a steamer on the fabric where the flag is imprinted it loosens up the fabric and takes out the imprint.

Guy I understand the pain in rear the very last stich removal is. I usually take a break and go for it the next day.

This is probably sound advice. I was excited to see the results of my first attempt and got a little impatient when things slowed down with just a small part of the flag remaining. Will try to take breaks next time.

Do you have a steamer you recommend? My pot on the stove steaming works well for shaping caps but didn't do much for the flag soul.
Big Cappi
Rookie

Post Posted: 02/27/17 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use a Shark steamer. I use it to get the wrinkles out of all my clothes I can't iron like my wool suits, Jackets etc. It's not cheap about 69.00 with tax but it lasts quite a while. I had an older model I bought in 2010 and had to replace it 2015. It comes with a year warranty.
You can also look around in some of the Goodwills or second hand stores for cheaper models. I had an old Conair for a while but the shark works so much better.
Also use distilled water. It would leave calcium deposits in the steamer or on clothes.

Here's the link from Walmart. Good luck!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/37228730?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222025949066&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10357903332&wl4=kwd-1103082114540&wl12=37228730_0&wl14=&veh=sem[url][/url]
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/28/17 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks BC, will definitely give that a look.
biznash
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 03/05/17 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thought i'd add to this thread. I've removed a few flags now and im very happy with the results and i've gotten it down to about 10-15 min per cap. (while watching Futuruama for background noise) original cap was a VT Hokies low crown that i picked up from the MLMD sale about a month ago. Love the cap, but the iridescent NE on the side was bugging me. Time for the ripper / fingernail clipper

starting out..

progress...

Final Results...perfect!

Also an A's old school copperstown - much better!

Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: