DUST! (How to remove)View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrBoston

Post Posted: 06/14/19 10:19 am    Post subject: DUST! (How to remove) Reply with quote
Quick question for those more experienced than I am, but what's the best way to get dust off of a cap? Being a Red Sox fan all of my caps are dark navy blue and once they attract a bit of dust (especially on the brim), it makes the color look like a blue/gray that I can't stand. I've gently tried lint roller papers but it doesn't really seem to take off much. How do you guys all clean the dust off of your caps?
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/14/19 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use a horse hair brush. It works very well, removes the dust without damaging the hats. Before I had this I used to kept my hats in zip lock bags or storage bins, and would obsess over the dust. Now, I have hats hanging on my wall and just dust them off, from time to time.

I'm pretty sure they have these at Wal-Mart and other stores like that as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-100-Horsehair-Shine-Brush/dp/B0010TR6NE/ref=asc_df_B0010TR6NE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198069371999&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4436341992263720446&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015276&hvtargid=pla-384260890041&psc=1
DrBoston

Post Posted: 06/14/19 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions...I'll give it a try! What's the best method with the brush (i.e. how hard to push down, does it matter if you go with the "grain" of the poly or not, etc?)
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 06/14/19 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A general shaking slightly works. Dry wash cloth or old T-shirt after. Then a slightly damp wash cloth works wonders

I try to follow the brim stitching contour more than anything. Otherwise, it’s just a general wiping with a wash cloth.

Sometimes you have to slap the hat with the wash cloth rather than rubbing. All depends on how dusty they are. Generally only a 5-10 second process.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/16/19 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
DrBoston wrote:
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions...I'll give it a try! What's the best method with the brush (i.e. how hard to push down, does it matter if you go with the "grain" of the poly or not, etc?)

I just go over it lightly. Pretty much have to go in every directions to get it out to the "grooves".
DrBoston

Post Posted: 06/17/19 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wallyhopp wrote:
A general shaking slightly works. Dry wash cloth or old T-shirt after. Then a slightly damp wash cloth works wonders

I try to follow the brim stitching contour more than anything. Otherwise, it’s just a general wiping with a wash cloth.

Sometimes you have to slap the hat with the wash cloth rather than rubbing. All depends on how dusty they are. Generally only a 5-10 second process.

Cool, thanks! I'm not talking about a ton of dust...these are hats I wear regularly, they just pick up dust and lint from day to day use and storage. Combined with all of them being that dark navy blue, it just shows up enough that it bothers me. I'll try everybody's suggestions here and see what works.
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: