So is an oven the only way to shrink a New Era polyester capView previous topic :: View next topic  
Wendell_Gee

Post Posted: 01/17/17 1:33 pm    Post subject: So is an oven the only way to shrink a New Era polyester cap Reply with quote
Would prefer something less risky than baking if possible. I bought a Brewers cap at a game at Miller Park last summer, but it's pretty loose on my head even two months after a haircut.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 01/17/17 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is one, less invasive, method that has worked for me. It requires a 90+ degree day and the dashboard of a car. Soak the hat with water. I always use hot water, but I doubt it makes a difference. Place the hat on the dashboard of a car on a 90+ degree day, and let it dry completely. It should help, at least a little bit.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 01/17/17 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A zero-risk option is to fold up strips of paper towels or cotton balls and place them behind the sweat band. I've also noticed a slight tightening of a few caps from just steaming them.

But I personally consider baking the caps not particularly risky so long as you're careful. I put them in for 10 minutes max at a time, less if it's only a little loose. Just make sure you haven't sprayed or washed the cap with anything that leaves a chemical residue. I've only ruined one cap in the oven and I'm pretty sure it was a chemical residue that caused the discoloration.
soxkrazy
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 01/17/17 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The clothes dryer works for me!
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 01/17/17 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:
There is one, less invasive, method that has worked for me. It requires a 90+ degree day and the dashboard of a car. Soak the hat with water. I always use hot water, but I doubt it makes a difference. Place the hat on the dashboard of a car on a 90+ degree day, and let it dry completely. It should help, at least a little bit.

I've found putting it into a plastic bag as well helps. Kind of a mini steamroom effect.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 01/17/17 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
in the oven for a few minutes.

Last edited by Erie Warrior on 08/29/18 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 01/17/17 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:
Scott8030 wrote:

I've found putting it into a plastic bag as well helps. Kind of a mini steamroom effect.

Good suggestion. I'll give it a try this summer.
codyb619
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 07/25/17 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What I do is boil water, dump it into the hat and swish it around inside and let it drain out, then blow dry it and wear it. Works every time.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/29/18 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:

Scott, trying this method as we speak with a 7 1/8 regular crown USIM poly 59F. The fit is ok, but I would like the crown to come down a bit. I guess I should not expect anything dramatic, but not sure that it needs to be. From my perspective low crown caps fit me much better, but they don't look all that different on my head than regular crowns. The regular versions are usually about the same height but a tad wider around the crown if I just wear them right off the shelf.

This one has about 3 more hours to go before I check it after work. We'll see...
DrBoston

Post Posted: 03/14/19 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had mixed results with the baking method. It shrunk the cap noticeably, but not as much as I really needed. I also noticed that the color has faded from the cap a lot faster than I would've expected over the last few years of wearing it when compared to caps I haven't baked. The poly also is weird...on the panels surrounding the crown, some days it'll be incredibly rigid and stiff and hold it's shape even after I take it off, other days it'll be soft and floppy and will collapse when I take it off. It has nothing to do with temperature or humidity either because I've noticed both on random hot days, cold days, rainy days, etc. Bizarre.
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: