2017 Authentic CollectionView previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/04/16 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
LegalAmerican wrote:
You should probably give up on trying to guilt people into not buying what you don't like. Especially on this board. I threw in the towel with New Era when the announcement came out about the flags on the side. People on this board have been saying that would be the last straw ever since I joined here.

I still lurk around this site occasionally because It's still interesting to me, but all the people who've always sworn against buying an on-field with a side flag are all scooping these up like nothing changed.

Clearly there's no line for some people on what they will or will not accept. And New Era LOVES it.

I have to admit that the tolerance from so many on here for the flag is disappointing to me. I can understand Cubs and Indians fans needing to buy these one-offs but I'd have hoped that more collectors would have boycotted. The flag is most likely here to stay if even this board continues to buy.

Boycotting the DE's would also be great but that seems like a lost cause. I'd personally love if the teams wore some more daring caps during ST and BP that we'd be able to get in MUSA poly. Hat Club customs are an option in this regard but it's just not the same as wearing an on-field authentic.
LegalAmerican
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 11/04/16 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
LegalAmerican wrote:
You should probably give up on trying to guilt people into not buying what you don't like. Especially on this board. I threw in the towel with New Era when the announcement came out about the flags on the side. People on this board have been saying that would be the last straw ever since I joined here.

I still lurk around this site occasionally because It's still interesting to me, but all the people who've always sworn against buying an on-field with a side flag are all scooping these up like nothing changed.

Clearly there's no line for some people on what they will or will not accept. And New Era LOVES it.

I have to admit that the tolerance from so many on here for the flag is disappointing to me. I can understand Cubs and Indians fans needing to buy these one-offs but I'd have hoped that more collectors would have boycotted. The flag is most likely here to stay if even this board continues to buy.

Boycotting the DE's would also be great but that seems like a lost cause. I'd personally love if the teams wore some more daring caps during ST and BP that we'd be able to get in MUSA poly. Hat Club customs are an option in this regard but it's just not the same as wearing an on-field authentic.

I agree. I'm just personally tired of the guilt tripping efforts on DE's, flags on the side, made in china, etc.... because 95% of those who front and act like they have a line they WILL NOT CROSS, will cross that line at the first opportunity.

I don't care. I mean, it's frustrating simply because I know that like you said, if those of us on this board don't care, nothing will ever change. And it probably wouldn't change even if we did stick to our guns on these issues. But it's pointless and nonsense to try at this point to criticize people for buying any of the things I mentioned above because everyone opens their wallet anyway.
XclickX
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/04/16 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hear ya Kevin. People can buy what they want. I agree, still I personally have yet to buy a Chinese ST hat or a MLB on-field with flag and I plan to keep it that way. I have tried the Chinese DE caps in 2013 and some MILB ones since but they just feel horrible on my head. The USA made DE( Like the St. Pats) on the other hand fit me great! I still stand by my comment. We can do better than the Chinese garbage! I believe that, lol.
LegalAmerican
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 11/04/16 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
XclickX wrote:
I hear ya Kevin. People can buy what they want. I agree, still I personally have yet to buy a Chinese ST hat or a MLB on-field with flag and I plan to keep it that way. I have tried the Chinese DE caps in 2013 and some MILB ones since but they just feel horrible on my head. The USA made DE( Like the St. Pats) on the other hand fit me great! I still stand by my comment. We can do better than the Chinese garbage! I believe that, lol.

I 100% agree we can do better. I'm just irritable about the entire New Era situation. They're pushing all the crap on us that we've always pushed back against, and it sucks to see so many who were stalwarts suddenly accepting it and opening their wallets.

My comment sounds like i'm calling you out specifically for telling people not to buy what they want, and I really don't mean it that way. Simply that it seems no one cares no matter what, so it's almost superficial to even say anything about it at this point.
neweranewbie723

Post Posted: 11/06/16 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is anyone buying during minorleagues 50% end of year clearance sale. limited sizes and I'm guessing limited USA made but if you buy 2 or more they'd cost about $20 each for each hat which is much lower than retail. I've never bought NCAA 5950s are they mostly China made? I regret not getting their older diamond eras which for less than $10 each which have been gone from their site for a couple months now
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/06/16 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
neweranewbie723 wrote:
Is anyone buying during minorleagues 50% end of year clearance sale. limited sizes and I'm guessing limited USA made but if you buy 2 or more they'd cost about $20 each for each hat which is much lower than retail. I've never bought NCAA 5950s are they mostly China made? I regret not getting their older diamond eras which for less than $10 each which have been gone from their site for a couple months now

Got a great MUSA Indians red alt from them a week or two ago. Highly recommend them but call or email first to confirm they have a MUSA in your size.

I second the question about their NCAA's. Anybody bought one? Quality?
Dinsmore16

Post Posted: 11/07/16 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm just gonna float it out there that I am in it for the love of the game. I will deal with China caps and new era flags, I just really love collecting sports apparel and my love of the game won't get in the way of the New Era bickering.

Also, the Arizona Fall Stars game gave a good look at what color each team's flags will be next year. Notably, the A's Home cap had a yellow flag, to match the bill.
LegalAmerican
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 11/07/16 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dinsmore16 wrote:
I'm just gonna float it out there that I am in it for the love of the game. I will deal with China caps and new era flags, I just really love collecting sports apparel and my love of the game won't get in the way of the New Era bickering.

Also, the Arizona Fall Stars game gave a good look at what color each team's flags will be next year. Notably, the A's Home cap had a yellow flag, to match the bill.

My love of the game is why it irks me to see chinese crap on the field with stupid flags on the side of the hats. The game is bigger than New Era's stupid crap that they are pulling lately.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/07/16 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
LegalAmerican wrote:
My love of the game is why it irks me to see chinese crap on the field with stupid flags on the side of the hats. The game is bigger than New Era's stupid crap that they are pulling lately.

This plus the flag bothers me for aesthetic reasons as well. The aesthetics aspect is pretty damned important for people who collect to wear. Not much reason for us to buy if we don't think a cap look sharp.

I'll still watch because I love baseball but I won't buy their crap product and I'll continue to think less of MLB until they hopefully reverse this change at some point.
HoosNats

Post Posted: 11/07/16 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
neweranewbie723 wrote:

Got a great MUSA Indians red alt from them a week or two ago. Highly recommend them but call or email first to confirm they have a MUSA in your size.

I second the question about their NCAA's. Anybody bought one? Quality?

I've bought two NCAAs from them in 2015. The Fullerton one was USA. The Alabama one was China. Difference in quality and construction is what you'd expect. I don't recall if the NCAA page mentions it or not, but these are low crowns.
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/07/16 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I feel that they remove integrity from the historical importance of the postseason. I feel this is the same for Alternate jerseys too, it's always nice to see teams not touch them in the postseason. Giants... Royals....
baby dhibs
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 11/07/16 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
As it is the last big cap order I ever had was in late 2013, so it's been a while since I've been buying a lot. But the flag really is it for me, for now anyway. The real test is if/when the Reds change their caps significantly, but when they rolled out the current jerseys the owner acted like they were here for the long haul, so I don't really see that happening. Unfortunately. Hate the black trim.

I will say this, when the Stars and Stripes turned Chinese DE I stopped seeing many people on here picking them up. I didn't see many pictures of people buying the other Chino special editions. At least among this community I don't think the "do as I say not as I do" types are an epidemic. It's not like video game forums where people cry about DLC then post their "pickup thread" and they bought three copies of the game they claimed to hate.
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/07/16 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I stuck to my guns and didn't buy any of the garbage Special Event caps this season other than the Memorial Day camo. The other Chino monstrosities, I couldn't stomach.
HoosNats

Post Posted: 11/07/16 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Personally, I'm anti flag as well. At this point, I think the Phillies (least favorite team) and Marlins are the only teams I don't have some sort of on field hat already be it AC or TBTC. I'll probably snag a Marlins one in the MLMD 50% off clearance sale. Then I'll get a Phillies TBTC when one comes up assuming those continue to be no flags. I don't see myself buying AC with flags. Probably a good time to build my MILB and NCAA collections.
Gadm

Post Posted: 11/07/16 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've already bought back ups of my favorite caps USA made non flagged. I am just waiting to buy the Cubs ring ceremony as my last purchase, or at least that's my plan.
Page 2 of 63   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: