Get 'Em While You Can!View previous topic :: View next topic  
soxkrazy
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 10/16/16 7:10 pm    Post subject: Get 'Em While You Can! Reply with quote
I was in Lids yesterday, and the employee there said any non-NE flagged MLB on-fields will be returned to New Era by Dec. 1. He also said his manager said "no" to keeping any non-flagged caps for customers that prefer that style. Those caps will obviously be returning to retail with a freshly attached NE flag! Not sure about MLB/Fanatics, but you better strike before they are gone.
jake2701
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 10/16/16 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I'm guessing if my Cubs make the WS for the first time in my lifetime then I'll be stuck with a damn flag on the side?
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/16/16 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
And things manage to get even worse.

Lids manager I chatted with yesterday, who runs multiple locations in the region apparently, was adamant that the flag change was a positive and that he noticed no difference between MUSA and Chino caps. We're doomed.

All I can hope is there are enough people like me who will stop buying new caps entirely if all the stock has the flag. If sales drop, they will reverse course.
christo
Gold Member

Post Posted: 10/16/16 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:

Lids manager I chatted with yesterday, who runs multiple locations in the region apparently, was adamant that the flag change was a positive and that he noticed no difference between MUSA and Chino caps. We're doomed.

All I can hope is there are enough people like me who will stop buying new caps entirely if all the stock has the flag. If sales drop, they will reverse course.

he's a liar or legally blind. tell him to compare a chino indians cap to a musa one.

the whole ne flag thing is a non-issue for me. i know i'm the only one, but i see the ne flag as a positive. they make the on-fields, they should be allowed to advertise that. but again, they cannot win my support because they make cheap, chinese crap and force the consumer to eat it.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/17/16 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
christo wrote:
the whole ne flag thing is a non-issue for me. i know i'm the only one, but i see the ne flag as a positive. they make the on-fields, they should be allowed to advertise that. but again, they cannot win my support because they make cheap, chinese crap and force the consumer to eat it.

I don't have a problem with NE having a logo on the cap per se but the execution is dreadful.

First of all, the flag is cheesy. Ironically the sticker left on the brim might actually be less garish: at least the sticker is well designed. It also dominates the cap, especially when it's white on a dark color like navy. The team and MLB logos should absolutely take precedence. Making the flag tonal would take care of this. Finally, the flag should be omitted on patch caps. Patches look wrong on the left side of the cap and the cap looks cluttered and cheap with a patch/logo on every side.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/17/16 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Even worse than the flag is in my most recent trips to Lids, I have seen the amount of non-USA made stock increase exponentially. I'm not talking about customs or DE either. Authentic on-fields with Made in China, Made in Vietnam, and Made in Bangladesh.

Even a few months ago, my local Lids carried nearly 100% Made in the USA stock for the on-fields, even for the non-local teams.
Bucs007
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 10/17/16 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Speaking of "getting them while you can" (and a bit off topic), it looks like Majestic's deal with MLB won't be renewed after 2019. Under Armour's teaming up with Fanatics and will take over the jersey contract.

Crazy times in the world of on-field baseball merch....
el_gmac
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/17/16 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bucs007 wrote:
Speaking of "getting them while you can" (and a bit off topic), it looks like Majestic's deal with MLB won't be renewed after 2019. Under Armour's teaming up with Fanatics and will take over the jersey contract.

I hope they do back to double knit, stupid cool base crap jerseys are just that... crap
Betters22
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 10/17/16 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think that will actually happen, it wouldn't be worth it for New Era to have all of the hats shipped back to them and apply the logo just to send them right back out.
EllisBurks88
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 10/17/16 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:

I had a similar experience - only this manger stated the Chino caps were SUPERIOR! I was just like "sure thing". This was before the flag on the side but I'm sure he likes that too.

In regards to caps being returned beginning in December - this just seems logistically and economically stupid. Any chance you think the manger may have been pulling your leg?
CMPunk
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 10/17/16 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bucs007 wrote:

Ugh jesus
Ksolo12

Post Posted: 10/17/16 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:

Well they lost a customer in me for life. It's not like I matter but I have plenty of USA Poly's with no NE logo. I have about 6 brand new caps that I bought recently and I own about 50 different on fields so I'm set. I might pick up a couple of more if the December thing holds true but I know for a fact I won't wear any cap with the NE logo on the side.

It's been fun but in the end NE might have done me a HUGE favor because my cap buying was becoming ridiculous. I was constantly going into stores making impulse on field cap purchases.
codyb619
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 10/18/16 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
This NE flag business is a non-issue for me. I've got all the Brewers hats and all MiLB hats already have it. I obviously would prefer not to have the flag but I'm not going to stop buying hats because of it as long as they're made in USA.
djgcue

Post Posted: 10/18/16 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hate the NE logo too, but if I recall correctly, collectors were against the MLB logo being placed on the rear of the cap too. I believe the majority of buyers will continue to buy on-fields. The serious collectors, like ourselves, are in the minority / niche of the group.

Also, if there's a dope redesign or a classic turn back the clock, it's going to be tough for me not to pull the trigger even if it has the dreaded NE logo on the side.
djgcue

Post Posted: 10/18/16 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Betters22 wrote:
I don't think that will actually happen, it wouldn't be worth it for New Era to have all of the hats shipped back to them and apply the logo just to send them right back out.

Yea, I think that retailers will just clear inventory like what MLs is doing.
Page 1 of 3   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: