MiLB hats (discussion)View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadHatta
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 12/05/15 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
LEROY712 wrote:
EllisBurks88 wrote:
@ HatGuru: Thanks for the info re: Teddy-Face RoughRiders 5950 non-DE. About to pull the trigger.

Question: In a previous post there was talk and a photo of a new alternate for Syracuse which was basically the Sky Chiefs logo. I can no longer find the post(s). Can anyone help? Thanks.

They don't have any alts that are from the Sky Chiefs era 1997-2006). Are you talking about the Chief head logo like this?

Is that one from this year? Is it black or navy?
LEROY712
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/05/15 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
MadHatta wrote:
LEROY712 wrote:
EllisBurks88 wrote:
@ HatGuru: Thanks for the info re: Teddy-Face RoughRiders 5950 non-DE. About to pull the trigger.

Question: In a previous post there was talk and a photo of a new alternate for Syracuse which was basically the Sky Chiefs logo. I can no longer find the post(s). Can anyone help? Thanks.

They don't have any alts that are from the Sky Chiefs era 1997-2006). Are you talking about the Chief head logo like this?

Is that one from this year? Is it black or navy?

Yeah. It's from this years set and its navy. They stated they won't wear it on field but we will see. It's the first time I have seen a cap be released with a set listed as an alt that a team has said they won't use. This Native American PC thing has gone too damn far. Living in an area with a large Native American population I can say anything Wahoo, Indians, Chiefs or Native American related sells really really well here.
MadHatta
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 12/05/15 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I would imagine that it's easy for people to get anything that represents their heritage. I know it might be a little harder to swallow if its a caricature like Chief Wahoo but I can honestly say if there was a mexican/latino/hispanic/whatever you want to call it equivelant I would be all over it.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/05/15 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
LEROY712 wrote:
Yeah. It's from this years set and its navy. They stated they won't wear it on field but we will see. It's the first time I have seen a cap be released with a set listed as an alt that a team has said they won't use. This Native American PC thing has gone too damn far. Living in an area with a large Native American population I can say anything Wahoo, Indians, Chiefs or Native American related sells really really well here.

That Chiefs cap is great, especially for something from the Minors.

But I would say that there's a pretty significant difference between that kind of design and a caricature like Chief Wahoo. I actually loved that Indians cap as a kid but as an adult I can't see it without this image coming to mind:

I really do think the only reason it hasn't been completely phased out is because Native Americans are essentially invisible in American public life. There's also the bizarre tradition Americans have of glorifying Native American culture after having essentially exterminated most of them. You would never see those other hats in the above photo not just because they're racist but also because those groups have never been romanticized in the same way that Native Americans have been.

At least one team that featured Native American symbols (I think they're in Montana) decided to work with local tribes to come up with native symbols/names that everybody liked. That seemed like a pretty reasonable compromise.
seawolf
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/05/15 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
LEROY712 wrote:

But I would say that there's a pretty significant difference between that kind of design and a caricature like Chief Wahoo. I actually loved that Indians cap as a kid but as an adult I can't see it without this image coming to mind:

I really do think the only reason it hasn't been completely phased out is because Native Americans are essentially invisible in American public life. There's also the bizarre tradition Americans have of glorifying Native American culture after having essentially exterminated most of them. You would never see those other hats in the above photo not just because they're racist but also because those groups have never been romanticized in the same way that Native Americans have been.

At least one team that featured Native American symbols (I think they're in Montana) decided to work with local tribes to come up with native symbols/names that everybody liked. That seemed like a pretty reasonable compromise.

I'd so rock a ny jews cap... Razz
XclickX
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/05/15 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That Jews cap needs to be green, duh.
seawolf
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/05/15 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
XclickX wrote:

Lmfao....
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/05/15 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
XclickX wrote:

Call up the Mets merchandise office. Maybe they could retool their St. Patrick's day hat for a special 'Philo-semite' day promotion? Wink
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/05/15 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
LEROY712 wrote:

It hasn't been phased out because it is awesome and they sell a ton of them. A lot of tribe fans won't buy the "C". Someday the PC assholes will get their way and that will be the end of wahoo. Before that day comes, I plan on having enough wahoo hats to last me the rest of my life.
J.B

Post Posted: 12/05/15 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought those 2 caps where official milb teams
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/05/15 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erie Warrior wrote:
It hasn't been phased out because it is awesome and they sell a ton of them. A lot of tribe fans won't buy the "C". Someday the PC assholes will get their way and that will be the end of wahoo. Before that day comes, I plan on having enough wahoo hats to last me the rest of my life.

It's not something that gets me too worked up, I just think there's a difference in tone between most generic Native American sports symbols and Wahoo. :shrug:

And I agree that it looks great and is a far better looking cap than any of the Cleveland 'C' caps. I only meant than it probably wouldn't have lasted as long as it has if the caricature was of a less marginal minority group (Jews, Asians, Hispanics, blacks, etc) since those groups generally have significant political influence. Speedy Gonzalez for example was phased out for several years for being allegedly discriminatory even though there's nothing particularly offensive about the character IMHO. But there's a lot of money to be lost by alienating the Hispanic market so the rights holders played it safe apparently until it was clear many Hispanics themselves wanted the character back.
biznash
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 12/05/15 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh lord.... Rolling Eyes
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/05/15 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
biznash wrote:

oh lord.... Rolling Eyes

Do you honestly not see how people could look at the Wahoo cap in this way? I mean, it's a caricature cartoon face of a minority group; that's not up for debate. Whether or not people find it in bad taste on the one hand or a good looking hat with history that means no harm and should thus be preserved on the other is besides the point.

It's simply not in the same category as that Chiefs hat above IMHO. I can understand why some Native Americans would take issue with Wahoo (the hat comparison photo is apparently from a large Native American advocacy group) but that Chiefs logo looks harmless to me.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/05/15 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mods can feel free to get rid of my posts from this page if they'd like btw. Didn't realize my initial post would be so incendiary and it wasn't my intention to hijack the thread.

Anyway, I love that Chiefs hat. Hopefully it gets worn on the field.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/05/15 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
biznash wrote:

oh lord.... Rolling Eyes

Do you honestly not see how people could look at the Wahoo cap in this way? I mean, it's a caricature cartoon face of a minority group; that's not up for debate. Whether or not people find it in bad taste on the one hand or a good looking hat with history that means no harm and should thus be preserved on the other is besides the point.

It's simply not in the same category as that Chiefs hat above IMHO. I can understand why some Native Americans would take issue with Wahoo (the hat comparison photo is apparently from a large Native American advocacy group) but that Chiefs logo looks harmless to me.

Tribes here in Arizona take such issue with it they make sure to clear off shelves of those pesky Indians, Braves & Blackhawks hats. Repeatedly.

I suspect as many First Nations people that are offended as many if not more own a Wahoo, Chief Knockahoma or Blackhawks hat/tshirt/jersey.
Page 154 of 231   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: