Buckram SeparationView previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyPlush26
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 06/07/15 12:50 pm    Post subject: Buckram Separation Reply with quote
Not sure if this has been posted or not so forgive me if it has.

But, I've been using the oven trick to shrink a few of my hats that fit loosely, and as always (for me) it worked great. I have two caps that during their time in the oven, the buckram actually separated from the poly. You can't see it from the outside other than a little bit of a dent, but I know it's there and the dent bugs me. Is there any way to reattach the buckram from the inside?
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/07/15 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had the same problem. Any advice would be great. I tried starching and a balloon, did nothing.
TonyPlush26
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 06/20/15 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Found a solution to my problem: the cap blocking machine. The combination of heat/steam and the hat being on a "mold" shaped it, I'm not sure if the two layers are actually fused together again but the dent(s) are gone.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/21/15 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
TonyPlush26 wrote:
Found a solution to my problem: the cap blocking machine. The combination of heat/steam and the hat being on a "mold" shaped it, I'm not sure if the two layers are actually fused together again but the dent(s) are gone.

Figures. the closest one to me is three hours away. Oh, well.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 09/01/16 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for posting on an old thread, but I think this is the exact problem I'm starting to see develop on an early 90's wool Cubs cap. There is a place in one panel on the crown that looks dented from the outside, I think because the buckram directly behind it is either shriveled or detached.

Any way to fix heat / steam-wise without a nu-cap or cap blocking machine? (The nearest one to me I think would be 8-10 hours away...) I do need to attempt some further shrinking on the crown of this one, so we'll see if that doesn't do the trick in time, but for right now it's mildly annoying as it's staring to give the crown that "real crown" look where the middle is a point higher than the rest of the front two panels. Frustrating. If anyone has advice, it would be much appreciated.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 09/01/16 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another dumb question - is it possible to subtly stitch / sew the buckram back to the wool fabric where it has become detached without making things worse?
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/01/16 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've never done any stitching, but I have been successful ironing out some imperfections in wool hats.
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: