SIGNS OF A FAKE NEW ERA FITTEDView previous topic :: View next topic  
eclectic
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 08/26/10 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ruarcs wrote:
do all new era caps have 2 stickers? gold one on top and silver hologram under?

or sometimes just one?

MLB caps come with at least two stickers. most others only come with the gold size sticker on top but some brands also include secondary stickers (kid robot, stussy, etc)
XedReality

Post Posted: 10/11/10 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can a New Era fitted with a black headband be 100% wool or not? Thanks.
yoh125

Post Posted: 11/04/10 7:47 am    Post subject: ruarcs Reply with quote
Hey ruarcs where do you order your caps? Cause im from the phil. too and i found stores that only have sizes that range from 7~7 3/8, which i wear a 7 3/4 ot 7 5/8. Pls reply
john_doe
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 11/07/10 6:24 pm    Post subject: Fake New Eras vs. Legit New Eras Reply with quote
Just so you know, I'm only trying to get to the bottom of the reasoning between fakes and legit New Eras. I'm a collector and a baseball fan, and I also wear everything I purchase. I've purchased from Lids (mainly), HatClub, Champs, CraniumFitteds, and on eBay. Have I bought a fake on eBay? Maybe. But the thing is, some of the criteria for fakes are present on my legit New Eras...which brings us back to the issue of New Era's quality control.

Quote:
the piping... that goes from front to back, in the picture it clearly shows that 2 different pieces are used to make the piping which is never done on any NE hat, its always one continuous piece.

Here is a Washington Nationals wool on field cap - the piping from front to back is not one piece. This cap was purchased from a sports store in Cincinnati that provides the uniforms for the Reds.

This is a Yankees tonal fitted from 2004 (?) which I got on clearance from Lids last year. Again, the piping from front to back is not one continuous piece. And note the sticker and the inside tag sizes read 60cm, not 59.6cm as the newer ones are.

A Potomac Nationals on-field which I purchased directly from the Nationals organization:

Quote:
The marking on the labels is wrong, NE never writes trademark next to its logo its always a Registered, i can even show u pictures of my 1990's NE caps that have a registered mark next to the old NE logo

This is a yellow Kansas City Royals from 1998 or 1999 that I got from Lids (this was before New Era was putting flags on the side of non on-field caps). Again, the piping from front to back is not one continuous piece - and there is no registered mark next to the New Era logo.

Any comments? Is there a better way to tell whether or not a cap is a fake?

John
Desp1
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/07/10 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
^ i was wrong about the inside NE logo tag and i fixed that in the other post, here is some info on the tags i found online, i also believe the person in charge of the blog is a member on this forum.
http://ballcapblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/chronology-of-new-era-cap-tags.html

Also just wanted to point out that even in your pictures the inner piping is lined up almost perfectly and you have to admit the piping on that other hat was way off and the top button was so off center it looked like it was on the right side panel of the hat.

I wish he kept the pics of the hat so we could get more input from other people cause in all reality all we have is your hats to show and not what we where actually trying to discuss.

I personally delt with NE when i was a co-owner of Retro City sneaker store (2006 - 2008) in Toronto and we made a lot of custom Jay's hats and custom shop hats, and i can truly say i have not received hats with the inner piping in 2 different pieces, It was one continuous line could it be cause they where custom hats , i dont know, but i rely on the knowledge i received working with NE and actually talking to NE reps in Toronto, the same reps use to supply stores in Toronto suck as Goodfoot, Live Stock, Stolen Riches.
If i am wrong then i will def admit it but i go by what i have delt with and the info i have learned from working in the clothing/sneaker industry.

Heres some pics of the tags from my hats, one of the hats hat the TM mark

This is a 2008 MiLB Chattanooga Lookouts custom hat

NewEraATL
Beginner

Post Posted: 08/02/11 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
New to the forum, just thought I would post a few pictures of a pretty good Braves fake that I came across. This cap features some of the obvious signs of a fake, but it also looks very authentic in other areas, so I just wanted to post some close-ups to help others avoid buying one of these very convincing fakes. BTW, thanks to this forum I was able to pick out the fake and the seller admitted it was a fake when I confronted them. I got my money back + return shipping.

The overall design and structure of the hat was pretty much perfect.

The front embroidery was about perfect. The eyelets were also evenly spaced.

The sticker was not very sticky and it also had some font issues. (Notice how thick the 5/8 is compared to authentic '10 Stars and Stripes Sticker)

The button stamp was perfect, but the type font was off and notice the lack of spacing between words.

The MLB logo was a completely different shape and was also missing the helmet visor.

The Coolbase tag actually looked pretty good.

The MLB tag was slightly shorter than usual, but looked good.

The Size tag was a completely different shape and also had uneven stitching.
Jocko
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 08/03/11 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks fake to me... its the veryyy small things kinda like the the taping inside, as well as the tags. A lot of things inside the hat that are wrong, its spot on as far as the logo and stuff
Ducis36
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/03/11 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice post NewEraATL
fubu
Rookie

Post Posted: 08/24/11 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
NewEraATL wrote:
The button stamp was perfect

The button stamp is too big and far from perfection Smile
EllisBurks88
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 01/13/12 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
seth wrote:
Picked up a Ny mets royal fitted and noticed this:

If you are ever doubting the authenticity of the On field authentic players cap your about
to buy. Check inside the Cap and the metal button {highlighted in yellow}
It should be STAMPED with the NEW ERA symbol

This may have been the case at before, but I have recently come across legit on-fields that do not feature the NE stamp on the button.
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 01/13/12 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
EllisBurks88 wrote:
seth wrote:

If you are ever doubting the authenticity of the On field authentic players cap your about

This may have been the case at before, but I have recently come across legit on-fields that do not feature the NE stamp on the button.

I wouldn't fret if a cap doesn't have the stamp, they seem to vary.
Patman
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 03/13/12 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
dbacks_Nation wrote:
EllisBurks88 wrote:
seth wrote:

I wouldn't fret if a cap doesn't have the stamp, they seem to vary.

Yeah, I think I got approx. 50/50 with or without the stamp.
BaySickClothing

Post Posted: 05/16/12 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
@NewEraATL that's a pretty decent fake. One of the first things I look for is the font on the inside. The font is usually wrong and theres no space in between the words just like yours. Nice work spotting that fake though!
Jomofo
Rookie

Post Posted: 06/20/13 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fake New Eras vs. Legit New Eras Reply with quote
john_doe wrote:
Just so you know, I'm only trying to get to the bottom of the reasoning between fakes and legit New Eras. I'm a collector and a baseball fan, and I also wear everything I purchase. I've purchased from Lids (mainly), HatClub, Champs, CraniumFitteds, and on eBay. Have I bought a fake on eBay? Maybe. But the thing is, some of the criteria for fakes are present on my legit New Eras...which brings us back to the issue of New Era's quality control.

Quote:
the piping... that goes from front to back, in the picture it clearly shows that 2 different pieces are used to make the piping which is never done on any NE hat, its always one continuous piece.

Here is a Washington Nationals wool on field cap - the piping from front to back is not one piece. This cap was purchased from a sports store in Cincinnati that provides the uniforms for the Reds.

This is a Yankees tonal fitted from 2004 (?) which I got on clearance from Lids last year. Again, the piping from front to back is not one continuous piece. And note the sticker and the inside tag sizes read 60cm, not 59.6cm as the newer ones are.

A Potomac Nationals on-field which I purchased directly from the Nationals organization:

Quote:
The marking on the labels is wrong, NE never writes trademark next to its logo its always a Registered, i can even show u pictures of my 1990's NE caps that have a registered mark next to the old NE logo

This is a yellow Kansas City Royals from 1998 or 1999 that I got from Lids (this was before New Era was putting flags on the side of non on-field caps). Again, the piping from front to back is not one continuous piece - and there is no registered mark next to the New Era logo.

Any comments? Is there a better way to tell whether or not a cap is a fake?

John

what is it meant by piping? which part of the cap is that
Page 5 of 5   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Prices/Legit Checks/EBAY Checks

Jump to: