US Made vs Chinese Made,is there a big difference?View previous topic :: View next topic  
platinumspine

Post Posted: 11/18/17 12:17 am    Post subject: US Made vs Chinese Made,is there a big difference? Reply with quote
Hi fitted lovers!
I live in Sweden and since I have gotten immersed in cap collecting,also other brands than New Era,Mitchell and Ness,only the snapbacks.
Before I found this forum I didnt know that USA makes New Era Fitteds too.
I thought they all were manufactured in China.

So my question is are US made better than chinese?

What is the difference in quality?

Ive read in this forum that US made can also be flawed.

For the record,I dont own a US made cap,all I get here in Sweden is the Chinese ones.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/20/17 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's a huge difference. In my experience, USA made hats have much softer polyester. But perhaps the biggest difference is USA made hats have lower, more easily shaped crowns. Chinese made crowns are tall and stiff.
VikadontisRex
Rookie

Post Posted: 11/20/17 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:
There's a huge difference. In my experience, USA made hats have much softer polyester. But perhaps the biggest difference is USA made hats have lower, more easily shaped crowns. Chinese made crowns are tall and stiff.

That's a pretty good rundown. Another thing worth noting that I've seen recently is that USA made hats' logos tend to be more crisp. For example, on Cubs caps particularly I've found that the logos on Chinese caps aren't as good looking and tend to be thicker.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/20/17 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bill to crown attachment is dramatically different too.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/21/17 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
VikadontisRex wrote:
That's a pretty good rundown. Another thing worth noting that I've seen recently is that USA made hats' logos tend to be more crisp. For example, on Cubs caps particularly I've found that the logos on Chinese caps aren't as good looking and tend to be thicker.

This. Totally agree; Cubs caps are all I collect because they are my team. Last month I got in two 2016 Cubs Postseason patch caps because they were on clearance from Fanatics. I don't know if I even took them out of the box. Chinese, and horrible quality. The logos were actually ok, but you can tell the difference in stitching; the USA made ones have way more thread count in their logos. Also for the Chinese product, the brim quality usually sucks. If it does not have a dent or rise or some other problem right out of the box, it will usually develop one on these caps, from what I have seen. And when that happens there is no fixing it. Also quality of the Poly - the Chinese caps are lower grade and this means they tend to collect dust and dirt more quickly, etc. A Chinese made NE 5950 that is brand new might look old and used a week later.

USA made caps can have issues too with logo quality and centering, sizing, etc. but on the whole it's just a much higher quality cap. When you can put the two side-by-side and know immediately which one is the Chinese cap, that is telling.
platinumspine

Post Posted: 11/22/17 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanx alot for your replies!

Now i know the difference!

Have a great night! Very Happy
DrBoston

Post Posted: 03/14/19 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do they even make the 59Fiftys in the USA any more? Every one I've bought in the last few years has been made in southeast Asia (but not China).

EDIT: The new one I ordered last week arrived after I posted that...MUSA. So I guess they still do (but not for long I'd imagine).
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Quality Review

Jump to: