Shrinking Poly Crown: Oven v. Dashboard Method?View previous topic :: View next topic  
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/29/18 9:47 am    Post subject: Shrinking Poly Crown: Oven v. Dashboard Method? Reply with quote
In the seemingly never-ending battle I fight between Low-Crown mail orders and regular High-Crown 5950's that I can inspect first and buy in the store, I'm currently leaning towards the latter to get higher quality caps. I am pleased with the quality I've been able to find in doing that, but I have found that I still would like to be able to shape the crown a little bit better and do some work to these caps rather than just wearing them right off the shelf. That said:

Can anyone comment on the recent effectiveness of leaving a USA-Made Poly on the dashboard in a hot car during the August heat? I read a while back that in the summer that can be almost as effective as the oven treatment. I would like to loosen the buckram in the crown a bit and be able to shape / slightly lower it - I do not necessarily have a problem with the circumference fit of the cap, though if it got a bit tighter it would not be the end of the world.

Thoughts? I'm really loath to try the oven method for fear 1) of ruining the cap, and 2) my wife wondering what the hell I am doing in our kitchen cooking baseball caps. Smile

Any advice would be appreciated.
steadymobbin
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/29/18 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Shrinking Poly Crown: Oven v. Dashboard Method? Reply with quote
jchcollins wrote:
In the seemingly never-ending battle I fight between Low-Crown mail orders and regular High-Crown 5950's that I can inspect first and buy in the store, I'm currently leaning towards the latter to get higher quality caps. I am pleased with the quality I've been able to find in doing that, but I have found that I still would like to be able to shape the crown a little bit better and do some work to these caps rather than just wearing them right off the shelf. That said:

Can anyone comment on the recent effectiveness of leaving a USA-Made Poly on the dashboard in a hot car during the August heat? I read a while back that in the summer that can be almost as effective as the oven treatment. I would like to loosen the buckram in the crown a bit and be able to shape / slightly lower it - I do not necessarily have a problem with the circumference fit of the cap, though if it got a bit tighter it would not be the end of the world.

Thoughts? I'm really loath to try the oven method for fear 1) of ruining the cap, and 2) my wife wondering what the hell I am doing in our kitchen cooking baseball caps. Smile

Any advice would be appreciated.

not sure if this will help with your exact situation, but i had purchased a rockies patch hat from lids recently and when i got it, it had a very bad dent on one of the front pieces that has the logo on it right at the curve of the buckram. i used a hair dryer to heat it up and then hold it into place until it cooled. then repeated that a few times (heat, hold until cool) its not perfect but its pretty close.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/29/18 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Shrinking Poly Crown: Oven v. Dashboard Method? Reply with quote
steadymobbin wrote:
used a hair dryer to heat it up and then hold it into place until it cooled. then repeated that a few times (heat, hold until cool) its not perfect but its pretty close.

Yes, this is an option too. Figured I would start with the dashboard treatment since 1) it's very easy to do, and 2) I had both the cap and my car and a full day's work ahead of me with that car baking in the sun.

I have successfully shrunken the crown on many an older wool cap with a hairdryer before, but dont' think I've ever tried it on poly. May consider that later if the dashboard trick does not yield great results.
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: