MoldView previous topic :: View next topic  
demondecko
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 08/19/18 2:15 pm    Post subject: Mold Reply with quote
So recently I have discovered some of my rarely worn hats have started to get what I guess is mold. Iím not sure where it honestly has come from though. The room is not wet or leaking water from the ceiling of anything. It is pretty hot during summer but not any hotter than years past where the hats are being kept. Any idea how to get rid of this from the hats for good or just toss it?

Gadm

Post Posted: 08/24/18 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I clean them with a wet towel ,then hand dry them with another towel and then brush them
mattman

Post Posted: 08/25/18 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My wife suggests using diluted peroxide on it. I would test a very small area. The idea is to find something that will kill mold but not discolor the material of the hat. Obviously bleach kills mold but would not be an option. But you get the idea.
demondecko
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 08/26/18 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks guys. Turns out a lot more were hit than I thought. About 15 total in different parts. I took some Clorox wipes to them about a week ago and let them dry in my car. So far so good but who knows.
Big Cappi

Post Posted: 08/26/18 11:53 pm    Post subject: mold Reply with quote
You may want to check the room you are storing your hats in. Obviously moisture is getting in some place and causing this. Not just for your hats but for your health. Mold will make you sick left unchecked.

I hope you are able to find a fix for your hats and let us know.

The only problem I ever had with my hats was with some of the old wool ones. I have an original pillbox from the 1976 Cardinals that I wore only a few times. I put it in a box with some others and as time went on forgot about them until I started to collect hats again. Upon opening the tip of the brim was eaten away and small holes were on the crown.

Several other hat were motheaten too. I started putting cedar and dryer sheets in the travel cases I store them in now. No moths ever.
Big Cappi

Post Posted: 08/26/18 11:56 pm    Post subject: mold Reply with quote
You may want to check the room you are storing your hats in. Obviously moisture is getting in some place and causing this. Not just for your hats but for your health. Mold will make you sick left unchecked.

I hope you are able to find a fix for your hats and let us know.

The only problem I ever had with my hats was with some of the old wool ones. I have an original pillbox from the 1976 Cardinals that I wore only a few times. I put it in a box with some others and as time went on forgot about them until I started to collect hats again. Upon opening the tip of the brim was eaten away and small holes were on the crown.

Several other hat were motheaten too. I started putting cedar and dryer sheets in the travel cases I store them in now. No moths ever.
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: