HatClub CustomsView previous topic :: View next topic  
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 05/23/18 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wallyhopp wrote:
I'm a little confused by the blame. But maybe I'm looking too much into it.

Like does Company L submit designs to NE for approval, and they get back to them and say "this is what we have in our database. And this is what is approved for MLB usage or MiLB usage. We can't produce exactly what you wanted". At that point does Company L just say "whatever" and releases everything en mass? At that same time, does company H try to work with NE to gain a bit more accuracy when NE shows some resistance?

Can submitted designs just be flat out wrong and NE doesn't care enough to change or fix anything? Getting the LA blue wrong on the retro classic is a huge blunder. But wouldn't NE catch that on the approval phase of its' design?

I'm just confused how HC can have more accurate customs than say Lids or other retailers. A lot of the time, its as small as a flat batterman vs. bumpy with a border. At the end of the day, they are all NE products, and it's in their name.

I realize HC and Lids arent the only players out there. There has to be thousands of submitted designs, and some fall through the cracks. It's odd that most fall Lids way vs. HC. If it's all going through NE regardless, you'd think there would be more consistency

There's a catalog that NE has that you can peruse to see what is and isn't available. Some logo's will have restrictions on them (i.e. "team use only" or they can only be used on certain styles 3930's 940's but not 59's and so on).

You pick the logo and layout the specs (what colour you want everything etc) and then submit it for approval. Some times it gets bounced because you submit a logo that was listed but shouldn't have been (happens regularly) or the League/Team doesn't want the logo used or used in that way. (A certain MiLB team rejected a HC design earlier this year and then used it for themselves...).

It gets produced and sometimes a screw up happens at the production level, sometimes it's when NE enters the order and codes it wrong etc. NE produces a lot of hats, a lot and as such things get messed up.

Take the Dukes conquistador logo, HC knew that logo was wrong 3 or so years ago and has worked since then to get the tape changed to allow for the correct underbill of the helmet. It was not easy. Some are easier, such as the Kinston feather logo. The OG was set up for a 3930 hence it showed a bit small on the first 5950. There is a new custom dropping with a better proportioned logo.

NE/Leagues/Teams aren't necessarily going to say "Hey you used light royal when you submitted that Dodgers custom". It's not practically based on the sheer number of orders they process and they don't read minds. Maybe you wanted a light royal Dodgers hat, they don't know.

Lids doesn't care because go look at social media, people will buy their stuff regardless, same way people will jump on McDonalds and think their burgers are great. Other's palette's may differ. Plus the Lids buyer for the 5950 segment is not a "hat guy" and is more about the hype than the substance.

The reason HC can have more accurate retros is because HC's buyer cares about that stuff, doesn't waste time yammering on social media and researches as best as possible. Mistakes will happen both because of the nature of production as well there are humans involved at every step.

The point is even with meticulous research and planning things can still get botched, the difference is one retailer cares enough to try and get it right and attempt to fix it when something goes askew. Sadly, sometimes the fix is out of their hands.

If the PDX Rox hats sell well enough that they warrant a future reorder then you can bet HC will work to improve the logo. If they don't then maybe it gets tweaked some day but I cannot underscore how hard some changes can be with NE. This one would be a more involved fix.
MrRedLegs

Post Posted: 05/24/18 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:
wallyhopp wrote:

Like does Company L submit designs to NE for approval, and they get back to them and say "this is what we have in our database. And this is what is approved for MLB usage or MiLB usage. We can't produce exactly what you wanted". At that point does Company L just say "whatever" and releases everything en mass? At that same time, does company H try to work with NE to gain a bit more accuracy when NE shows some resistance?

Can submitted designs just be flat out wrong and NE doesn't care enough to change or fix anything? Getting the LA blue wrong on the retro classic is a huge blunder. But wouldn't NE catch that on the approval phase of its' design?

I'm just confused how HC can have more accurate customs than say Lids or other retailers. A lot of the time, its as small as a flat batterman vs. bumpy with a border. At the end of the day, they are all NE products, and it's in their name.

I realize HC and Lids arent the only players out there. There has to be thousands of submitted designs, and some fall through the cracks. It's odd that most fall Lids way vs. HC. If it's all going through NE regardless, you'd think there would be more consistency

There's a catalog that NE has that you can peruse to see what is and isn't available. Some logo's will have restrictions on them (i.e. "team use only" or they can only be used on certain styles 3930's 940's but not 59's and so on).

You pick the logo and layout the specs (what colour you want everything etc) and then submit it for approval. Some times it gets bounced because you submit a logo that was listed but shouldn't have been (happens regularly) or the League/Team doesn't want the logo used or used in that way. (A certain MiLB team rejected a HC design earlier this year and then used it for themselves...).

It gets produced and sometimes a screw up happens at the production level, sometimes it's when NE enters the order and codes it wrong etc. NE produces a lot of hats, a lot and as such things get messed up.

Take the Dukes conquistador logo, HC knew that logo was wrong 3 or so years ago and has worked since then to get the tape changed to allow for the correct underbill of the helmet. It was not easy. Some are easier, such as the Kinston feather logo. The OG was set up for a 3930 hence it showed a bit small on the first 5950. There is a new custom dropping with a better proportioned logo.

NE/Leagues/Teams aren't necessarily going to say "Hey you used light royal when you submitted that Dodgers custom". It's not practically based on the sheer number of orders they process and they don't read minds. Maybe you wanted a light royal Dodgers hat, they don't know.

Lids doesn't care because go look at social media, people will buy their stuff regardless, same way people will jump on McDonalds and think their burgers are great. Other's palette's may differ. Plus the Lids buyer for the 5950 segment is not a "hat guy" and is more about the hype than the substance.

The reason HC can have more accurate retros is because HC's buyer cares about that stuff, doesn't waste time yammering on social media and researches as best as possible. Mistakes will happen both because of the nature of production as well there are humans involved at every step.

The point is even with meticulous research and planning things can still get botched, the difference is one retailer cares enough to try and get it right and attempt to fix it when something goes askew. Sadly, sometimes the fix is out of their hands.

If the PDX Rox hats sell well enough that they warrant a future reorder then you can bet HC will work to improve the logo. If they don't then maybe it gets tweaked some day but I cannot underscore how hard some changes can be with NE. This one would be a more involved fix.

This multi-step, error-prone process sounds maddening for all involved, especially those like HC personnel who care about a quality product. I think Guru's detailed explanation only underscores what I wrote earlier when I suggested that HC should work harder to get things right:

I know that's a tall order, and maybe even near impossible, in this era of foreign-made goods and companies like NE, which put more emphasis on marketing than manufacturing quality.
bamahater
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 05/24/18 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrRedLegs wrote:
Hat Guru wrote:
wallyhopp wrote:

This multi-step, error-prone process sounds maddening for all involved, especially those like HC personnel who care about a quality product. I think Guru's detailed explanation only underscores what I wrote earlier when I suggested that HC should work harder to get things right:

I know that's a tall order, and maybe even near impossible, in this era of foreign-made goods and companies like NE, which put more emphasis on marketing than manufacturing quality.

I think Hat Club does everything in their power to ensure that a particular hat is made according to their specifications. New Era just fucks up many times and no matter how detailed the instructions you give it makes no difference. I mean Hat Club can't have a person present at every step in the process correcting their errors.

I mean you can specify USA made poly production for a particular hat yet it shows up Chino wool. That's nothing Hat Club could fix. New Era just F-ed up. New Era is about mass producing Hat out to the masses and places like Hat Club who actually sweat the details are fewer and far between.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 05/24/18 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrRedLegs wrote:
Hat Guru wrote:
wallyhopp wrote:

My comment does not underscore that, in fact it does the opposite.

Your doubling down on your "work harder" position is both disappointing and still missing the point. You may want to work harder and rethink it.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 05/24/18 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
bamahater wrote:
MrRedLegs wrote:
Hat Guru wrote:
wallyhopp wrote:

I think Hat Club does everything in their power to ensure that a particular hat is made according to their specifications. New Era just fucks up many times and no matter how detailed the instructions you give it makes no difference. I mean Hat Club can't have a person present at every step in the process correcting their errors.

I mean you can specify USA made poly production for a particular hat yet it shows up Chino wool. That's nothing Hat Club could fix. New Era just F-ed up. New Era is about mass producing Hat out to the masses and places like Hat Club who actually sweat the details are fewer and far between.

Bingo. Thank you.
MrRedLegs

Post Posted: 05/24/18 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:
MrRedLegs wrote:
Hat Guru wrote:
wallyhopp wrote:

My comment does not underscore that, in fact it does the opposite.

Your doubling down on your "work harder" position is both disappointing and still missing the point. You may want to work harder and rethink it.

You’ve missed my point entirely. My criticism is with NE, not HC. I said that working harder to get things right is a”near impossible”task given that NE’s business model centers on marketing and mass producing goods as cheaply as possible, not producing quality hats.

By the way, your smart, insider knowledge is welcomed on this blog, but the condescending remarks can get a bit tiresome.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/19/18 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Phila A’s dark navy custom restock is supposedly at the Concord store. Anyone handle them? If so, did these get the good poly? Last run was atrocious and I really want this one.

The promo photo is promising but I’ve been misled by those before...

baby dhibs
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 06/20/18 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That A's TBTC from 2012 is the one out of all of them that I kind of regret getting rid of. Love that hat.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/22/18 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so far as I can tell that A's cap was never actually worn. All my checking of game worn caps and Okkonen's guide tells me they wore royal blue with that logo during the thirties and forties. They did switch to navy in the fifties but they added another serif (I believe that's the term) to the logo as well.

Middle cap below has the HC custom logo (but in royal blue) whereas the others have slightly different versions of the fifties logo in navy:

Can any A's fans or just classic uni aficionados in general confirm the above?
baby dhibs
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 06/25/18 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I seem to remember even in 2012 that people said the A's throwbacks were wrong, that cap looks exactly like the one from then.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/25/18 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
baby dhibs wrote:
I seem to remember even in 2012 that people said the A's throwbacks were wrong, that cap looks exactly like the one from then.

Yup, pretty sure it's the same color & logo. I found a post from the time of original release at another forum that claims the '12 cap is incorrect too. Kind of surprised HC wouldn't get it right. They've apparently released a royal blue version previously to boot. Confused
Tubby34
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 06/27/18 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
baby dhibs wrote:

Yup, pretty sure it's the same color & logo. I found a post from the time of original release at another forum that claims the '12 cap is incorrect too. Kind of surprised HC wouldn't get it right. They've apparently released a royal blue version previously to boot. Confused

Unless....

This is an accurate cap as a remake of the 2012 cap.

Think about it man!
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/27/18 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tubby34 wrote:
Unless....

This is an accurate cap as a remake of the 2012 cap.

Think about it man!

Definitely a possibility. HC needs to make money and I'm pretty sure that '12 TBTC was popular. Seems like it would have been pretty harmless to add an extra serif to the logo and make it accurate to the game-worn caps in the fifties though.

I have a royal blue wool NE release from the early oughts that's similar to an EFF-style cap and besides being accurate it's also beautiful. A MUSA poly version would be a day one buy for me.

As for dark navy TBTC's that need re-releases, this one's on the top of my list:

m_y_t_h
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/30/18 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:

As for dark navy TBTC's that need re-releases, this one's on the top of my list:

This one is on mine, with a more accurate logo in both terms of size and style.

Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/07/18 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
m_y_t_h wrote:
This one is on mine, with a more accurate logo in both terms of size and style.

Great cap. Would love to see what HC could do with it.

Took a chance on the re-release of the unworn Devil Rays alt HC custom and happy I did. The colorway and logo look great in person and the purple poly is outstanding. It's basically a TATC design so I'm not surprised it wasn't popular when first revealed (at least according to what I've read) but this logo is underrated IMO. Glad it got some love from the team this year even if I don't like how they implemented it.

And I hate to say this since I far prefer the Rockies as a franchise over the '98 expansion teams but I have to admit that I like how those teams incorporated purple more. Still think black and forest green is the best look for the Devil Rays though. Wink

Page 45 of 58   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: