Lids.com has the MLB retro classicsView previous topic :: View next topic  
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/07/17 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrRedLegs wrote:
bamahater wrote:
Local Lids seemed to be getting these hats in stock as we speak. They had A's, Dbacks, Cubs that I saw. I assume they had the Astros as well. Looked to be getting stock ready be put on the floor. The quality is there as it's USA made wool but as stated previously the research and attention to details on these is severely lacking. If your team hat is spot on you have a real nice gem.

It's USA made wool? Is this accurate?

I was in Lids and grabbed a Cooperstown Collection hat with China wool and a Retro Classic -- the fabric seemed identical. Perhaps I didn't have the eye or feel for the difference, and I confess that I only spent a minute or two comparing them, but I could not discern a distinction in the wool.

I will say, the brims were thicker and higher quality on the Retro Classics than the thinner brims on my old Pro Model and Diamond Collection hats. So I would say they're an upgrade in that area.

Truth is, I went in expecting to buy one or two Retros, but they didn't seem any higher quality than a modern China-wool Cooperstown, so I passed and walked out empty handed.

It's the same wool either way.

Difference would be in the buckram and bill/crown attachment, both of which make a huge difference in the fit between a USA and Chinese made hat.
ay
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/16/17 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:
LEROY712 wrote:
Hat Guru wrote:
Except the ones that are wrong.

So many New Era hype beasts blindly going all in on these...we should keep track of all the errors that have been made this far.

Angels "Disney" cap is the wrong navy. Should be lighter not "Yankee".
Dodgers royal is incorrect. They seemed to have used Blue Jays royal and not Dodgers royal.
Padres navy is incorrect should be light navy like...well...the Padres. Plus missing white squatchee.
Indians never had a red squatchee on the roads...and WTH is up with the outline?
Rangers...really??? How could you mess the size of the "T" up?? Same logo they use now...

Not sure if this is a New Era problem or a Lids problem, but someone isn't doing their job right (something tells me it's whoever the buyer for Lids is). A great idea that's been kicked around for a long long long time that is finally getting used and incorrectly so. Luckily the rest of the caps are correct....in this batch.

Angels uses the wrong button too.

Dodgers, Rangers & Padres look like they are using the kids hat logos.

If you are going to chest thump on accuracy it probably helps to be you know...accurate.

Dodgers with grey underbrim never had a flat logo or that New Era center tag style.

Also the dodgers silver bill cap never had a flat logo, or that New Era center tag either.
Fiddy Sicks
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/17/17 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Picked up one of the California Angels caps the other day and I like it quite a lot. It's got a bit of a high crown, but it'll be less of an issue as I wear it I'm sure. I ordered another cap (Twins LL weekend cap. I liked the logo), and I'm SERIOUSLY considering swapping it out for another one of these when it comes in.

Still pretty annoyed they used the Reds black drop shadow cap for this line, though. What's even the point? Why is New Era/the Reds seemingly so averse to releasing the classic white wishbone C cap? Is it because they now how HUGE of a mistake it was going away from that in the first place?
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/17/17 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
I'm waiting for my red visor Cubs road cap...

Nice. They couldn't make the regular blue cap? There are "similar" ones here and there w/ the wool classic, but that one still has a raised logo. I like the road cap, but as luck would have it - the original version of this is the one cap I have saved from my childhood that still fits and is in awesome shape today. So I won't be needing the retro...
baby dhibs
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 08/17/17 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fiddy Sicks wrote:
Picked up one of the California Angels caps the other day and I like it quite a lot. It's got a bit of a high crown, but it'll be less of an issue as I wear it I'm sure. I ordered another cap (Twins LL weekend cap. I liked the logo), and I'm SERIOUSLY considering swapping it out for another one of these when it comes in.

Still pretty annoyed they used the Reds black drop shadow cap for this line, though. What's even the point? Why is New Era/the Reds seemingly so averse to releasing the classic white wishbone C cap? Is it because they now how HUGE of a mistake it was going away from that in the first place?

I just saw the Reds cap listed and I groaned as well. The team wore that version of the cap on the field approximately twice, ever (in 2000), and it was introduced well after the tagging this line is mimicking. Really should have been the early 90s solid red design. Oh, well.
bamahater
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 08/17/17 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
As much as these were hyped leading up to the release by the Lids buyer on Instagram, Lids sure has done a piss poor job promoting them. You go into a Lids store and they are buried on the shelves with the chino crap, hell the sales people don't even know what they are. You go to the Lids website and they are pimping the Chino thrash MLB patch caps but not one mention of these hats. I guess this shows how dysfunctional Lids is.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/17/17 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
bamahater wrote:
As much as these were hyped leading up to the release by the Lids buyer on Instagram, Lids sure has done a piss poor job promoting them. You go into a Lids store and they are buried on the shelves with the chino crap, hell the sales people don't even know what they are. You go to the Lids website and they are pimping the Chino thrash MLB patch caps but not one mention of these hats. I guess this shows how dysfunctional Lids is.

*reassigned Lids buyer.
bamahater
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 08/17/17 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:
bamahater wrote:

*reassigned Lids buyer.

Guess he didn't make fitteds great again
go_gosox
Rookie

Post Posted: 08/19/17 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just in the interest to see what the differences in the caps were I put an original cap next the New Era Retro one. New is on the left; old is on the right.

Everything looks pretty good except the logo being a bit off. Even the "M" logo on the Twins hat they have is just slightly askew. It's just interesting that a something that looks like was made with an attention to little details missed some details.
1986Astros

Post Posted: 08/19/17 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
go_gosox wrote:
Just in the interest to see what the differences in the caps were I put an original cap next the New Era Retro one. New is on the left; old is on the right.

Everything looks pretty good except the logo being a bit off. Even the "M" logo on the Twins hat they have is just slightly askew. It's just interesting that a something that looks like was made with an attention to little details missed some details.

Exactly.
Looking over these, right away I noticed most of the logos were either way too big or a little bit too small. This is the first time I've EVER seen one of the major hat retailers produce the 1999 Brewers logo. I'm obsessed with that hat, I have 3. But the logo on these is also too large. Great concept by Lids, I guess, but something is hardly a retro classic if the differences from the originals are so blatantly obvious.

How is it that pretty much everyone on these forums has a great eye for detail, an appreciation for precise authenticity, and high standards, but the people who actually create the hats seem to half-ass everything? It's pretty strange.
Ronnieb
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/19/17 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
1986Astros wrote:
go_gosox wrote:

Exactly.
Looking over these, right away I noticed most of the logos were either way too big or a little bit too small. This is the first time I've EVER seen one of the major hat retailers produce the 1999 Brewers logo. I'm obsessed with that hat, I have 3. But the logo on these is also too large. Great concept by Lids, I guess, but something is hardly a retro classic if the differences from the originals are so blatantly obvious.

How is it that pretty much everyone on these forums has a great eye for detail, an appreciation for precise authenticity, and high standards, but the people who actually create the hats seem to half-ass everything? It's pretty strange.

Maybe they aren't true hat fans? Likely just marketing/sales professionals who just focus on what's selling or cool for the moment, vice true replicas of hats from past eras. Profits above all else??
el_gmac
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/19/17 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
go_gosox wrote:

you should posted it on IG and tag the idiot behind this disastrous released. It's sad to see just a few of them were done right
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/19/17 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
1986Astros wrote:
go_gosox wrote:

Exactly.

I just think the average fan wouldn't notice or care and that is what they are hoping for.
Tubby34
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 08/19/17 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
1986Astros wrote:
go_gosox wrote:

Exactly.

Nevermind the problem with the marlins ones. Its the same logo they pump out 15 times a month on everything- and they screw this up on he retro line

[/img]
HOUNDDOG
Rookie

Post Posted: 08/19/17 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You know, to each his own, and I can be a bit OCD at times, but I honestly spent 5 minutes staring at the marlins logos trying to find the difference. Maybe this makes me a sellout, but if I were in the market for a marlins cap, I wouldn't have noticed anything wrong....
Page 9 of 29   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: