Lids.com has the MLB retro classicsView previous topic :: View next topic  
MrRedLegs

Post Posted: 08/03/17 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
shane618 wrote:
MrRedLegs wrote:
baby dhibs wrote:
That Brewers one is horrible, and that's coming from someone who might have been interested if it had been correct. That was a cool set.

Also, it would be nice to see a Reds one released.

I don't know that it's "horrible," but again, the logo appears enlarged. Why? I posted a pic of my Diamond Collection version to Instagram (link below). One of the things that makes this cap so clean and sharp -- the simple M logo doesn't overpower the front crown. One of my favorite caps.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXVxue1hrZX/?taken-by=baseballfitteds

Having not seen one of the retros in person, is it possible that the logos are the exact same size, but that the crowns aren't of the 10 gallon variety, and thus it makes the logos appear larger? Because the Diamond Collection hats i have from 96-98 are almost unwearable because the crowns are so absurdly high.

Also, the blue appears too dark on lids (based off the instagram pic).

In all fairness, my pic was taken outside in noontime natural light with an iPhone. The cap is definitely a dark navy, much like the "retro classic" appears to be. The natural light makes it appear a shade lighter.

Also, the crown on this 1990s DC is not too high at all. But I know what you mean -- some from that period are tall and boxy. It's the bigger M that is annoying. It seems NE got about half these hats right and half wrong.
LEROY712
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/03/17 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This new wave of the Retro Collection has become even worse. Didn't think that was possible yet here we are. I find it amazing how badly this was done. Incorrect battermen on the Dodgers Alt, Rays and DBacks road. Wrong royal on the Dodgers Alt. Incorrect color outline on Mariners NW green Alt. And what in the hell happen to the color blocking on the "A" for the teal DBacks Alt??? Not even the right logo...LOL. These are an embarrassment. This program was put in the wrong hands.
jy2k2
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 08/03/17 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried on two of the jays retro classics 7 1/8 and it was really big!
felt like 7 1/4

tried on a size 7 and it was tight as hell.

anyone notice that these hats do not fit true to size?
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/03/17 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jy2k2 wrote:
felt like 7 1/4

USA wools tend to run big, which is what you want with a higher rate of shrinkage.

This whole line is a clown show with the piss poor attention to detail and ridiculous mistakes. I guess when you have a hypeman as a buyer who likes to run his little mouth spouting hashtag slogans and patting himself on the back small things like correct colours, logo sizes etc are missed.

Maybe he should stop trying to "Make Fitteds Great Again" and give "Make Retros Accurate" a shot.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/03/17 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This Giants one looks interesting. Is this logo correct? It looks like the 70s one I missed out at Hat Club.

http://shop.neweracap.com/style/MLB-Retro-Classic-59FIFTY-Cap/20942541
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/03/17 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erie Warrior wrote:
This Giants one looks interesting. Is this logo correct? It looks like the 70s one I missed out at Hat Club.

Definitely an interesting cap but the logo is pre-batterman so in that regard it's incorrect. Not sure why they didn't use the eighties and early nineties logo if they wanted to put a batterman on all of these.

I haven't seen this particular cap on Hat Club but it is the same logo as their '77 poly. They also had a green underbrim solid black poly listed a bit back (gone now) but I can't remember which logo that one used. I'm thinking it was the '77 logo as well but I'm not sure.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/03/17 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:

Definitely an interesting cap but the logo is pre-batterman so in that regard it's incorrect. Not sure why they didn't use the eighties and early nineties logo if they wanted to put a batterman on all of these.

I haven't seen this particular cap on Hat Club but it is the same logo as their '77 poly. They also had a green underbrim solid black poly listed a bit back (gone now) but I can't remember which logo that one used. I'm thinking it was the '77 logo as well but I'm not sure.

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. I didn't realize this one had the batterman on the back.

Is it too much to ask for Cooperstown hats, like they used to make?
Royal Laegotti
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/03/17 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erie Warrior wrote:

1992 would've been the only year the batterman and that particular Giants logo would've overlapped.
MrRedLegs

Post Posted: 08/03/17 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:
jy2k2 wrote:
felt like 7 1/4

USA wools tend to run big, which is what you want with a higher rate of shrinkage.

This whole line is a clown show with the piss poor attention to detail and ridiculous mistakes. I guess when you have a hypeman as a buyer who likes to run his little mouth spouting hashtag slogans and patting himself on the back small things like correct colours, logo sizes etc are missed.

Maybe he should stop trying to "Make Fitteds Great Again" and give "Make Retros Accurate" a shot.

Guru clearly knows the inside story and the players here, and I fear he is accurate about the "clown show." Seems to me this was a terrific idea that was very poorly executed.

I'm a writer/journalist by trade, and admittedly not in the hat business, but it seems to me like the guy running the pr/marketing on social media should be separate from the "buyer." Someone else should be in charge of quality control and accuracy, not the idea guy or the marketing guy. That seems like a major flaw in the company's structure.
bamahater
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 08/03/17 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Astros one must be one of the only ones they actually got correct. I compared it to a NWT one I own from back in the day and the only differences is the orange on the star on the retro hat is a tad darker but unnoticeable unless you have the hats upm side by side and really look. Also on the retro the star is a tad tad lower on the crown but it is the same size as the Diamond Collection from back in the day. The batterman on the retro collection has a thicker outline compared to the DC hat.

Overall it is a nice hat and I like the brim al lot better than the thinner more cardboard brim they used on the DC hats.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/03/17 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Giants cap is New Era's version of the logo from 1958 to 1982, which showed up very rarely (1972 is one year it showed up). The Giants were very loyal to McAuliffe/KM Pro until they went out of business after the 1976 season and switched over to New Era. McAuliffe/KM and New Era had two visibly different logos for the Giants at the exact same time.
jonwin
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/04/17 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Club's Giants USA-made poly retros that were done the right way:

Guy Gadbois wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:

[/img]
Fiddy Sicks
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/04/17 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have that all black HC custom, and you're right it's fantastic. I was never able to find the orange billed version though unfortunately. Hat Club here in sacramento had them, but they were Chinese poly by the time I got around to them.

They also did a San Francisco Seals cap in the US Made poly that I sat on and could only find Chino made by the time I decided to finally get one. I'm still kicking myself for that one.
jonwin
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/04/17 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
This majestic beast right here:

And you should definitely be kicking yourself.

Fiddy Sicks wrote:
I have that all black HC custom, and you're right it's fantastic. I was never able to find the orange billed version though unfortunately. Hat Club here in sacramento had them, but they were Chinese poly by the time I got around to them.

They also did a San Francisco Seals cap in the US Made poly that I sat on and could only find Chino made by the time I decided to finally get one. I'm still kicking myself for that one.
Fiddy Sicks
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/04/17 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shocked

You're killing me, smalls.

Laughing

That's hands down my #1 hat "unicorn"

The blow is a bit softened by the fact that EFF produces an absolutely FANTASTIC version of that cap, but I'd still kill to have it in MUSA poly 59Fifty version.
Page 7 of 29   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: