2016 Postseason Caps: WITH NE SIDE LOGO...View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyPlush26
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 11/08/16 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I've already snagged the Cubs regular WS patch hat in my size USA made. I'm 95% sure I'll be able to snag the one with the Champions patch by this weekend USA made as well. The thing is though, I only want one, I don't want both, but I can't decide on which one to go with.

I'm leaning more towards the regular WS patch since it was worn on field but I feel like because it's their first in 108 years, to have the one that says "2016 WS Champions," on it would be pretty cool too. Any thoughts?
cardsfan1985

Post Posted: 11/08/16 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wouldn't get the one that says WS champs, I would wait and get the ring ceromony cap in the spring if I was you
Royal Laegotti
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/08/16 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TonyPlush26 wrote:
So I've already snagged the Cubs regular WS patch hat in my size USA made. I'm 95% sure I'll be able to snag the one with the Champions patch by this weekend USA made as well. The thing is though, I only want one, I don't want both, but I can't decide on which one to go with.

I'm leaning more towards the regular WS patch since it was worn on field but I feel like because it's their first in 108 years, to have the one that says "2016 WS Champions," on it would be pretty cool too. Any thoughts?

Good for you, I can't find one USA made in my size to save my life. I'm looking all over. If I were you I would get the one they wore in the WS.
Dinsmore16

Post Posted: 11/09/16 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
TonyPlush26 wrote:

I bought both, lol. WS Patch is Made in China, but it's the best Chinese made fitted i've ever owned.
Fudopi
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/09/16 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I probably would've tolerated the NE flag if it was at least stitched on and had flat stitching. Like they've done on every hat that they've ever put it on.

but having the stupid glued on patch that probably would've came off anyways if I didn't pull it off, and the way it popped out from the side of the hat looked terrible to me.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/10/16 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fudopi wrote:
...if it was at least stitched on and had flat stitching. Like they've done on every hat that they've ever put it on.

Interesting turn of developments today, as I finally received my shipment from MLB.com on the 2 low profile 5950's with the WS patch that I ordered a couple of weeks ago:

The first thing that caught my attention was that these appear to be the older, darker shade of blue that has not to my knowledge been used for Cubs hats since at least 2014 or earlier. What was next of interest is that I noticed I got one Chinese cap, and one MUSA imported materials. On the latter, after examining for a while - I realized that the NE flag was the stitched-in one and not the stick on!

Weird. My guess at this point is that since these hats were back-ordered, they just went and started grabbing old stock and gluing the WS patches on. Although that does not explain the stitched flag on this one hat. Maybe they ran out of the glue-on ones and just started stitching to get orders out the door.

In any case I'll take it. Though expensive, I think at this point I'm just going to keep all 3 hats I got (I have a high crown one from the mall in the lighter shade of blue, too...) because as it turns out they are all distinctly different caps.
SpartanFan_ChippewaMan
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 11/10/16 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jchcollins wrote:
Fudopi wrote:
...if it was at least stitched on and had flat stitching. Like they've done on every hat that they've ever put it on.

Interesting turn of developments today, as I finally received my shipment from MLB.com on the 2 low profile 5950's with the WS patch that I ordered a couple of weeks ago:

The first thing that caught my attention was that these appear to be the older, darker shade of blue that has not to my knowledge been used for Cubs hats since at least 2014 or earlier. What was next of interest is that I noticed I got one Chinese cap, and one MUSA imported materials. On the latter, after examining for a while - I realized that the NE flag was the stitched-in one and not the stick on!

Weird. My guess at this point is that since these hats were back-ordered, they just went and started grabbing old stock and gluing the WS patches on. Although that does not explain the stitched flag on this one hat. Maybe they ran out of the glue-on ones and just started stitching to get orders out the door.

In any case I'll take it. Though expensive, I think at this point I'm just going to keep all 3 hats I got (I have a high crown one from the mall in the lighter shade of blue, too...) because as it turns out they are all distinctly different caps.

I got a LC MUSA of Imported materials cap too like that from mlbshop last week.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/10/16 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another oddity - on the full crown Cubs WS cap, for some reason the "C" logo is sewn thicker in terms of the raised embroidery. The logos on the low profiles I just got are raised as well, but just a tad thinner and they match all of the other Cubs raised logos I have on most caps. But the full 5950 is thicker, and I've noticed this on several friends' caps as well. Wonder if they are trying something different or of this can just be chalked-up to New Era's normal QC issues. The slightly thicker logo does not necessarily look bad or wrong - it's just a bit different.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/10/16 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting observations, collins. Always fascinating to read about the seemingly random product NE puts out.
VikadontisRex
Rookie

Post Posted: 11/10/16 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jchcollins wrote:
Another oddity - on the full crown Cubs WS cap, for some reason the "C" logo is sewn thicker in terms of the raised embroidery. The logos on the low profiles I just got are raised as well, but just a tad thinner and they match all of the other Cubs raised logos I have on most caps. But the full 5950 is thicker, and I've noticed this on several friends' caps as well. Wonder if they are trying something different or of this can just be chalked-up to New Era's normal QC issues. The slightly thicker logo does not necessarily look bad or wrong - it's just a bit different.

In regards to the C logo I'm pretty sure its just poor quality control. I used to work at a Lids in Chicago and I could always tell the made in USA Cubs hats from the Chino ones.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/11/16 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
VikadontisRex wrote:
jchcollins wrote:

In regards to the C logo I'm pretty sure its just poor quality control. I used to work at a Lids in Chicago and I could always tell the made in USA Cubs hats from the Chino ones.

Unfortunately I agree with you. My normal practice anymore is not to buy any cap that I cannot inspect in my own hands first. With things like the WS caps however, I have to order online since nobody stocks the low-profile 5950's in the store (at least in NC, I'm guessing they probably did at some of the larger retailers near Chicago). So anymore that means ordering at least 2 caps so I can have a choice as to which one is made better and then send the other one back. The whole thing is a giant pain. In this case, the cap I'm sending back is actually the MUSA one. It's good looking except for the fact that the logo is too low on the front, sitting only just above the brim. Does not look horrible, but the Chinese one I got looks better.
baby dhibs
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 11/12/16 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I spotted a guy wearing a Cubs Series patch cap with a flag at Target tonight. It looked as ghastly as I expected. The flag sticks out like a sore thumb and, of course, it was completely covered in lint despite being three weeks old, max. He also kept the size tag on the bill. Of course he did.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/13/16 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
baby dhibs wrote:
...The flag sticks out like a sore thumb

Matter of opinion. It's historically inaccurate as hell, unless you consider the fact that it was indeed the postseason on-field cap with that flag on the side this year. That fact aside, I think the flags look sharp. I haven't seen any sewn-on crooked or sloppy or anything like that. As I said earlier in the post, I prefer a matching color if they are going to do the flags (red for the Cubs) but for what they chose, I think they look fine.

For my money, I am much more concerned about NE's myriad QC problems than any small flag on the side of the cap. Whether you like them or not, the flags are a marketing decision and do represent the true on-field cap that was used this postseason. So just because it's not traditionally accurate, does not mean it will not be historically accurate for this season.

New Era has come along way in the past 20 years or so; at least we are no longer wearing 100% wool ball caps that with any heavy use shrink and become unusable in no time anymore, but what absolutely kills it is these shoddily-made Chinese caps with crooked visors, crooked logos, and inconsistent sizing. For a product that is so ostensibly revered as the actual on-field cap worn by a major league baseball player, you would think that they would recognize the huge room for improvement.

What does a 5950 run out the door anymore at Lids - $35, 36 dollars? I realize that there are a lot of people here who might spend more money on hats in a week than the casual fan would in a decade - but just me personally, I'd rather pay $45 for a hat IF it could be guaranteed to be a superior quality, beautiful item each and every time. I don't know if a return to pure MUSA would be required for that; I imagine it would. Anymore if I decide I want to actually buy a cap at Lids or Sports FanAttic, I go down and look and sometimes out of 10 hats in my size I can't find a single one to buy because the quality is so awful.
LaughingIndian

Post Posted: 11/16/16 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just got 2 low crown Cubs hats from mlbshop that are perfect ! USA made, the right color, and great fit. One is the regular onfield and the other the WS onfield with embroidered flag. I'm so happy!
BlueJaysFan4Ever
Beginner

Post Posted: 11/27/16 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was at a Lids store at a mall in Toronto and purchased the Blue Jays 59FIFTY Cap with the 2016 Post Season patch and New Era logo and was lucky enough to have got a made in the USA version in a 7 3/8. The cost was $48.99 before tax and obviously I got it during the playoffs. However when you convert the cost the same hats would be in the United States it's almost the same. Besides that it was also time for me to purchase a new Blue Jays hat since my old 59FIFTY Cap was all dirty and beat up.
Page 18 of 19   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: