Softening a polyester 59FiftyView previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/24/16 3:51 pm    Post subject: Softening a polyester 59Fifty Reply with quote
So I just received a used Cool Base Giants cap that fits pretty well, good straight brim, close to ideal crown depth. Problem is that the polyester has a bit of that canvas bag feel to it. Not hopeless though as it still has visible fuzz and doesn't feel awful to the touch, just stiff.

Anyone on here know any tips for how to soften the polyester without destroying the cap's fuzziness? Is it even possible?
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/26/16 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
No one else has had this problem?

It's actually the second poly I've received like this. The first was less stiff but also had less fuzz left. That was a pre-Cool Base poly. I'm assuming both were gently washed before being resold but I haven't bought enough new Cool Base and earlier poly's to know if this is just a problem that some of them had.

The oven trick helped in both cases.The stiffness is far less noticeable when the cap right up against your skull with less loose fabric flapping around. With this latest cap, I've also been working on physically breaking down the fabric at the rear of the cap. Punching it, rolling it up, scrunching it while on my head, etc. I think it's made a difference without leaving any wrinkles/creases.

Out of curiosity, I compared it to one of my old LC Chino's that I remembered feeling awful. These MUSA's that I'm working on don't feel great but there's still no comparison with a Chino. Gave me some perspective and motivation to keep working on these MUSA's even if they'll never feel perfect.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/26/16 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know exactly what you are talking about, but I have no clue how to fix it. I love my pre-2012 poly hats. The fit is perfect. I can get a 7 5/8 and know it will fit perfectly. With the current sizing, I am between a 7 1/2 and 7 5/8. I have to buy 7 5/8 and shrink down the hat a little bit.

The cool base hats also have much lower crowns. They strike a nice balance between low crowns and current standard crown hats.

I'll check out the feel of the poly on all of my cool base hats when I get home and see if I notice a major difference between any of them.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/26/16 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:
The cool base hats also have much lower crowns. They strike a nice balance between low crowns and current standard crown hats.

I was actually thinking about starting a thread to ask about this. My Cool Base caps have the perfect crown height for me too. As you said, just the right balance between the current high and low crown offerings. I'm gonna have to start hunting them down as my preferred caps now. And of course New Era's made the choice to use eBay for poly's too that much easier now.

I think the crown height change, at least in some cases, didn't go into effect for at least a year after the end of the Cool Base years. I just picked up a Cubs cap in Lids that caught my eye because the shade of blue was different from all the rest. Turns out they brightened the blue for 2014 so this must have been a 2013 cap (no Cool Base tag). Anyway, the crown and brim are perfect on the thing after a little time in the oven. The sizing was also unique: not as snug as a typical 7 5/8 Cool Base but also not as loose as a typical post-Cool Base.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/26/16 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just checked my collection. The poly on my Orioles cool base is definitely rougher. I checked some other hats from the same era, but without the cool base tags, and the poly feels the same. The more recent poly is definitely softer.

I can't think of how to even approach softening the polyester. Lots of wearing might make it a bit better. In the meantime, enjoy the excellent fit.
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: