Get 'Em While You Can!View previous topic :: View next topic  
POCKET KING5
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 10/19/16 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been picking up as many non flag on fields as I can as of late. It looks like 2017 will be the near end of my consistent buying. I will only get older caps or something that is a must have for me. Besides, I wanna buy a new truck at some point so this is the perfect opportunity for that 😎
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/19/16 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
djgcue wrote:
I hate the NE logo too, but if I recall correctly, collectors were against the MLB logo being placed on the rear of the cap too. I believe the majority of buyers will continue to buy on-fields. The serious collectors, like ourselves, are in the minority / niche of the group.

I'm aware of the resistance some had toward the batterman but at least it's well designed and doesn't interfere with the team logo or side patches.

I have a hard time imagining an objective person twenty years in the future saying that this year's postseason caps look good whereas I don't see many people objecting to the batterman at this point. I'd say that the switch from green to gray underbrims was the more consequential change in the early nineties. That would have bothered me had I been a collector at the time. I can totally see myself hoarding green underbrim caps still available in stores when the changeover occurred. Laughing
djgcue

Post Posted: 10/20/16 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOL, I was the complete opposite.

When I was a kid, I searched and searched for a gray underbrim poly 80's Expos cap (tri-color). Most shops at the time only carried the green underbrim wools. I had to have the same cap the Expos wore on the field. Since then I grew fond of the gray underbrim. When NE switched to black, I was very disappointed.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/20/16 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
djgcue wrote:
LOL, I was the complete opposite.

When I was a kid, I searched and searched for a gray underbrim poly 80's Expos cap (tri-color). Most shops at the time only carried the green underbrim wools. I had to have the same cap the Expos wore on the field. Since then I grew fond of the gray underbrim. When NE switched to black, I was very disappointed.

I probably would have loved the gray underbrim if I was collecting as a kid back in the nineties. It's only now that I'm an old fart that I've come to prefer green underbrims on wool caps. It feels 'classic', kind of like painting seats green in ballparks. I don't like green underbrims on poly caps though and the new ballparks don't necessarily feel right with green seats either. I could also see preferring a gray or even black underbrim with modern design caps and certain loud colors back in the wool/nylon days. Your Expos cap might be one that works better with gray.

I'm not sure if I prefer the look of gray or black on a poly (only have one gray underbrim poly and I ruined it) but I personally appreciate how the black doesn't draw my eyes to it. For me: gray is distracting, black is like it's not even there, green is relaxing (but only on wool; feels contrived and thus distracting on poly).
tducken

Post Posted: 10/24/16 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also went into a Lids the other day and found that all of the MLB On-Field Authentics that I looked at were made in China. I don't like the NE flag but I think the non-usa made hat is a bigger deal. They feel stiff and don't fit right. I was excited to hear that New Era would be making the NFL line in the USA but I have yet to find one...
Fudopi
Gold Member

Post Posted: 10/24/16 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
el_gmac wrote:
Bucs007 wrote:
Speaking of "getting them while you can" (and a bit off topic), it looks like Majestic's deal with MLB won't be renewed after 2019. Under Armour's teaming up with Fanatics and will take over the jersey contract.

Crazy times in the world of on-field baseball merch....

I hope they do back to double knit, stupid cool base crap jerseys are just that... crap

i really doubt under armour would make a double knit jersey, since pretty much everything else they make is performance fabric.

sad to say but i'm probably done buying any new new era hats anymore. not just because of the flag thing but the quality too.

i'll buy some vintage ones on ebay, probably pick up a few without the flag while I can, and that'll be that. I was going to buy a cubs WS hat but the lids by me still doesn't have any world series stuff (despite being only an hour and a half from chicago, 3 hours tops from cleveland...). I checked hat club earlier today and they still don't have them either.

i'll probably just get a t shirt. or get a hat on discount if they lose.

it's really surprising to me that the cubs gear isn't on sale all over the place here. I live in michigan but it's the southwest corner, pretty much right in between chicago and detroit. there's probably close to as many cubs fans as tigers fans here.
LaughingIndian

Post Posted: 10/25/16 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was depressed about the whole thing but now I'm over it. I've been collecting for 25 years! I hated the batter man at first but I got used to it. It is what it is, I've got bigger things to be concerned with. I'm just excited about the World Series, Go Cubbies!!!!!!!
Fittedguy16
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 10/26/16 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Speaking of Get it while you can....

seawolf
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/26/16 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fittedguy16 wrote:

Ugh.....The name will be next.....
moongooseryan

Post Posted: 10/26/16 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fittedguy16 wrote:

All I have is the block C in blue. Guess I need to snag the others in US poly before it's too late.
seawolf
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/26/16 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
moongooseryan wrote:
Fittedguy16 wrote:

All I have is the block C in blue. Guess I need to snag the others in US poly before it's too late.
especially before they start slapping new era flags on em......
moongooseryan

Post Posted: 10/26/16 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
seawolf wrote:
moongooseryan wrote:
Fittedguy16 wrote:

Hard to tell which sites have the Wahoo hats in the darker blue and which ones will be the lighter shade (I like the darker blue better). Closest Lids to me doesn't have the Wahoo hats. Adding these to my list!
seawolf
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/26/16 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
moongooseryan wrote:
seawolf wrote:
moongooseryan wrote:
Fittedguy16 wrote:

Hard to tell which sites have the Wahoo hats in the darker blue and which ones will be the lighter shade (I like the darker blue better). Closest Lids to me doesn't have the Wahoo hats. Adding these to my list!
Lids online doesn't seem to have the dark ones which is odd.....mlbshop has them but says imported.....though I think if they win the series wearing Wahoo, he's not going anywhere for awhile.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/26/16 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I personally wouldn't miss Wahoo but I still would have picked up a poly home and away set already if they had a proper-sized logo. Wahoo's design loses quite a bit IMO when it's shrunk. I never understood why the current cap logo didn't impress me like it used to in the nineties until I read about the size change on here.

I'm usually a sucker for picking up endangered/extinct caps but I'll probably just keep trying to grab a good DC road in this case.
Bucs007
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 10/26/16 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ugh. Took advantage of Minor Leagues big sale to pick up some hats before the flag invasion......2/3 Chinese.

Braves home....Chinese Mad

Nats home.......Chinese Mad

Orioles road.......AMERICAN! YAY. Laughing
Page 2 of 3   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: