The be all end all guide to Cap careView previous topic :: View next topic  
harp22
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 10/14/11 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
lalakerspurpyellow wrote:
i read somewhere that i can use a toothbrush as a brush to clean is it a good idea or bad idea?

I always use it! And works well! Laughing
moontheloon
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 10/14/11 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
DBlock72 wrote:
Rewind wrote:

What do you do with the lining of your shoeboxes DBlock? Damn that box sounds ill, I just got mine from some hardware store. I don't have nearly that many to warrant need for a box like that but the dividers thing really caught my attention. You could probably even add labels and s. I only got 13 so far, gave away a couple to some friends that wanted ones that I didn't really want.

Usually my Nikes come with tissue paper lining, so I leave that in there and use it to cover my caps.

Yeah the box sounds good, I'll post some pics up after I get it.

actually bro that tissue payer has oils and acids in it that will discolor both your kicks and your hats over time......you will notice a pair of kicks that have sat in the tissue paper for a long period of time.....if it has a while sole...it will start to yellow

Id take out the paper if I were you....you are better off straight on the cardboard....or line it with plastic
DBlock72
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 10/14/11 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
^^Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.
Rewind
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/17/11 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I dry them after using the cleaning solution and wet cloth, should I dry them in a shaded/dark area to avoid discoloration?
sas84_heavyhitter

Post Posted: 11/20/11 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The be all end all guide to Cap care Reply with quote
Please may someone clarify what the cleaning solution is. Are we saying that water alone with brushing (via the acoustic foam), will clean the cap removing all dirt stains. In the New Era cap cleaning kit, I understand there to be a cleaning substance. What does this consist of or what is the alternate solution we can mix up. Also, I will be looking at cleaning a large collection, so purchasing a small mew era bottle may not be economical in the long run. I am sure that water alone isn't the only cleaning agent ,but do correct me if I am mistaken.
B18c_tuner
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 11/20/11 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm sure there are some ppl out there that use a home made cleaning solution but personally I use the hatclub cap cleaner with the nylon brush. The spray isn't expensive at all, I believe its $5 for an 8oz. bottle. Also if your cleaning a large collection I think 1 bottle can clean up to 20-30 caps maybe even more. When using the cleaner spray don't spray too close, try about 8 inches away from the point of impact. This is done with 1 full pump only. I found that using 1 full pump per panel works the best (don't forget to shake the bottle before use). The idea is to mist the area to be brushed/ cleaned. Also I personally recommend spraying each of cap with only 1 layer of water/ stain repellant. It helps to keep the cap clean and water proof so when dirt/ water does end up on the cap it is easier to brush off (again shake before use). Just my 2 cents, good luck with cleaning the collect.

B18: +1
sutocorp: -1 Surprised
harp22
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 11/22/11 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
B18c_tuner wrote:
I'm sure there are some ppl out there that use a home made cleaning solution but personally I use the hatclub cap cleaner with the nylon brush. The spray isn't expensive at all, I believe its $5 for an 8oz. bottle. Also if your cleaning a large collection I think 1 bottle can clean up to 20-30 caps maybe even more. When using the cleaner spray don't spray too close, try about 8 inches away from the point of impact. This is done with 1 full pump only. I found that using 1 full pump per panel works the best (don't forget to shake the bottle before use). The idea is to mist the area to be brushed/ cleaned. Also I personally recommend spraying each of cap with only 1 layer of water/ stain repellant. It helps to keep the cap clean and water proof so when dirt/ water does end up on the cap it is easier to brush off (again shake before use). Just my 2 cents, good luck with cleaning the collect.

I have to buy it! Shocked
OldEra
Gold Member

Post Posted: 03/20/12 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The be all end all guide to Cap care Reply with quote
Nos Jawborn wrote:

Brushing:

Most caps made by New Era are made from a woven textile, be it cotton, wool, or polyester. As a woven textile, each individual fiber in the fabric is gathered, twisted and polished into a single thread and then woven into fabric. Brushing is the best method of cleaning this type of fabric, but what is more important is the type of tool used to clean the fibers of your cap. Anything to abrasive will break the tiny polished fibers in the threads, and give your cap a “fuzzy” worn look. The most abrasive tool you could use would be a brush with bristles, like the one sold in the Re-Cap Kit by New Era. The better bet is the less expensive Cap Brush from New Era, and I’ll tell you why. Although this foam brush is a little on the small side for my liking, and is not as dense a foam as I’d hoped for. It works. A bristle brush as I mentioned before, with its sharp ends is enough to rip apart tiny fibers, but a foam brush has no sharp abrasive surfaces. The foam organizes and polishes the fabric’s fibers and at the same time has enough micro surface texture to catch and lift away any dirt and dust.

Though the foam sounds very gentle, a lint brush is also very gentle. The one I own is not abrasive and does a great job.

I don't recommend the square brush that new era sells that's a little square container which looks like the same exact brush used for cleaning timberland nubuck boots.

BaySickClothing

Post Posted: 05/22/12 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
good stuff in this thread! thanks!
A.Z
Beginner

Post Posted: 05/30/12 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any tips how to get my white cap to look like white? Razz It has sweat and other light stains. It's 100% wool.
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 05/30/12 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
A.Z wrote:
Any tips how to get my white cap to look like white? Razz It has sweat and other light stains. It's 100% wool.

Put it in a plastic bag, then into a box, and then under your bed. Make sure to never ever wear it, touch it, or think about it.
A.Z
Beginner

Post Posted: 05/30/12 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
dbacks_Nation wrote:
A.Z wrote:

Put it in a plastic bag, then into a box, and then under your bed. Make sure to never ever wear it, touch it, or think about it.

haha Very Happy
but before that I got to clean it up but how? Razz
MudFlap
Rookie

Post Posted: 11/11/13 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A.Z wrote:

turn this over to a professional; take it to a dry cleaners

they might be able to help........ maybe not but it's worth a shot, right?
DrBoston
Rookie

Post Posted: 09/29/16 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried the freezer trick to remove sweat odor and it actually worked. The smell isn't 100% gone but almost.
Page 2 of 2   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: