Crown wrinkle / waviness...View previous topic :: View next topic  
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/31/16 6:12 pm    Post subject: Crown wrinkle / waviness... Reply with quote
See the attached pic of the Hammer. See how the crown of his cap dips down on the left side, (right as you look at the picture) almost making a point in the center out of the embroidered "A"? How do you avoid this? This picture is actually worse, but something similar is starting to happen on one of my NOS Cubs hats I asked about a week or so ago. There is a mild dent in that panel right there. Will it come out with shrinking over time if I continue to wet the cap? None of my other wool caps that are really really broken in do this, they are all more or less seamless across the top of the cap. The way this one is now is not horrible, but I would prefer the dent not be there.

Thanks for any advice. PS - not going to spring for a nu-cap or whatever that is, so not really an option for me. My gut at this point says to just keep wearing the cap a lot and see if it goes away...

-John

seawolf
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/31/16 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
nu cap would be the easiest way....but you could wear it wet in the sun......is it wool?
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/31/16 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
seawolf wrote:
nu cap would be the easiest way....but you could wear it wet in the sun......is it wool?

Yes, it's wool. This is virtually a brand new cap (even though it's 25 years old), had never been worn. It's on the area with buckram behind it... Maybe I need to try to shape it some with a hairdryer to see if that will go away. Getting it wet and wearing in the sun was what caused the problem last week.
seawolf
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/31/16 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
some say wet towels work.....
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/01/16 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trying wetting the area with hot water and then, like seawolf said, let it dry on your head. However, you do not see a significant improvement after doing that, it means that method is not going to work. Nu cap, or some other inflatable hat-shaped device, is your best option. Certainly the path of least resistance.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 09/01/16 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:
Trying wetting the area with hot water and then, like seawolf said, let it dry on your head. However, you do not see a significant improvement after doing that, it means that method is not going to work. Nu cap, or some other inflatable hat-shaped device, is your best option. Certainly the path of least resistance.

Wetting with hot water and drying on my head is what I have been doing.

I seem to remember this with older wool, Diamond Collection era caps when I was a kid. I wear either a 7-1/8 or 7-1/4, so I don't have a huge noggin. Seems like the way the two front panels were designed in the old school 5950's was to allow for room if you did have a huge noggin, or for it to shrink over time if you didn't. (This was the way it was for major leaguers too...we just didn't think they looked ridiculous on TV because they were major league baseball players...)

Back then, the crown was always high on my head in the beginning, then it normally would shrink to something more tolerable after several months of wear. I'm hoping that's what happens with this one, but if it doesn't I suppose there is anything I can do with it, outside of springing for a nu-cap. In this particular case, the panel in question appears to have a "dent" on the outside, and in the inside under the same place it looks like the buckram is trying to shrivel. I tried putting a hot iron on that (the buckram inside the cap) and steaming it to push the dent out; that didn't work.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/01/16 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nu cap has gotten really expensive. I think I paid $30 for mine. It has been very useful, but I'm not sure I would pay the current price (Amazon) for a replacement.
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: